Mobileread
Apple Debuts new MacBook Pro and iMac with up to 8-cores
#1  OtinG 05-21-2019, 04:01 PM
Apple has quietly debuted new MacBook Pro 13" and 15" models and iMac 21.5" and 27" models with up to 8-cores.

I haven't checked out the iMacs yet, but here is just a quick look at the prices for the MBP 15" with 8-cores:

Base Model 8-Core MacBook Pro 15-inch $2799

Premium Model 8-Core MacBook Pro 15-inch $6549

The premium model is too costly for my budget!

The MacBook Pro 13-inch models start at $1,299 with a 2.3GHz Dual-Core Processor with Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz, and 128GB Storage. The premium, fully loaded model is $3,499.

The MacBook Pro 15-inch models start at $2,399 with a Touch Bar and Touch ID, 2.6GHz 6-Core Processor with Turbo Boost up to 4.5GHz, 256GB Storage. The premium, fully loaded model is $6549.

#2  OtinG 05-21-2019, 04:21 PM
New iMac Models

The iMac 21.5-inch models start at $1099 with a 2.3GHz Dual-Core Processor with Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz, 1TB Storage. The premium, fully loaded model is $3,478.

The iMac 27-inch models start at $1799 with a Retina 5K Display, 3.0GHz 6-Core Processor with Turbo Boost up to 4.1GHz, 1TB Storage. The premium, fully loaded model is $5,378.

#3  pwalker8 05-21-2019, 07:26 PM
Yea, the fully loaded models can be quite pricey. I just bought a MacBook Pro back in January and an iMac 5K about a year ago, so no more Macs for me this year. I generally get 4 or 5 years of use out of my Macs.

#4  kyteflyer 05-21-2019, 07:59 PM
I'm still using a mid 2010 macbook, and a late 2012 mac mini, both of which have had RAM upgrades, and the Macbook an SSD (I really need to get one for the mini)... I have not been able to justify buying any new Macs in recent years. financial challenges, and the fact that both my macs do what I ask of them. When that no longer happens, I'll look again, but it will be refurbs and the second hand market I'll be shopping in.

#5  OtinG 05-21-2019, 08:25 PM
I’m using a MBP mid 2014 and a Mac mini late 2012. I’m not sure if I will ever buy another Mac though as the prices are way too high for what you get. I might have to go back to a Windows PC in a few years, as much as I don’t want to.

#6  kyteflyer 05-21-2019, 08:52 PM
Its frustrating. Sometimes I think Tim Cook has lost his way, and that Jonathan Ive has way too much influence over decisionmaking. Of course I could be quite wrong, but what I am seeing is a move back toward the elitist nature of the Mac, which existed prior to the move to OSX and then Intel. I recall paying $1850 AUD for my emac which was very basic. and then $1500 for my 12" ibook. Also very basic. No way could I have afforded the Pro models. Even those were hideously expensive by comparison with PC laptops and desktops at the time. But, I had a good job and didnt bat an eye. Now, its different. But the prices keep going up, and in Australia, of course, we are also at the mercy of the exchange rate, which is currently under US70c.

The most basic MBP: $1899
The most basic iMac: $1699
The most basic Mini: $1249

I imagine Canadian prices would not be too far different, since our dollars seem to be close in terms of exchange with USD.

#7  lumpynose 05-21-2019, 09:35 PM
Quote kyteflyer
but what I am seeing is a move back toward the elitist nature of the Mac
That's always been a fundamental part of their branding. They've always been the computer that's not for the hoi polloi. You're not just buying a tool, you're buying something that's part of your personae, part of who you are and that's what branding is all about.

If I were to criticize them it would be for sticking with Intel. I rebuilt my pc last month and finally switched to AMD and my machine has 16 cores, 32 threads/logical processors.

#8  OtinG 05-22-2019, 01:03 AM
By the mid-1990s Macs were a joke, and they had too many lines of them including the education line, consumer Line, and business line, etc. The only glimmer of hope was when Apple briefly licensed the hardware to 3rd party manufacturers. Prior to the Intel 80486 processor, the 680x0 line of processors had an edge, but the 80486 was better than the 68040, and Apple’s Motorola processors never caught back up. Then they switched to those awful RISC processors before eventually switching to the Intels. At least with the Intel processors we can run Windows on our Macs. Not sure what AMD would allow, but I do remember when Intel left them in the dust back in the lated 1990s and early 2000s. Intel does seem to have lost its way now though.

#9  pwalker8 05-22-2019, 10:21 AM
Actually the last time I priced them out, MacBook pros tend to compare favorably with similarly featured Windows laptops so there isn't really an Apple premium. Of course, you do have to compare similarly featured laptops, not the el cheapo ones that are slower and use a couple of generation older chip sets. Where Apple tends to jack up the price is with memory. You can get memory a lot cheaper elsewhere. Fortunately, most Apple laptops and iMacs are up-gradable by the user.

Right now, we are seeing incremental changes in laptops and desktops, just like we have been seeing for a number of years. Most people won't see a measurable difference in models over the space of 3 or 4 years. The biggest difference is that laptops are getting smaller and not as heavy. We are also seeing solid state disks and improved screens.

Tim Cook is a supply side guy, not a consumer guy. I have my doubts about him really understanding why people buy Apple products. Steve Jobs got it. Tim Cook, not so much.
He's hanging Apple's fortunes on services. It can work though I am highly skeptical of their upcoming video service.

I saw a good analysis of the TV app that is on the iPad, iPhone and Apple TV devices, soon to be out on Windows devices. Consumers really need an app that is going to tie all their streaming services together. Apple's TV app could be that app. Unfortunately, all the streaming services are more interested in grabbing every penny they can, so no one is cooperating with anyone else. It's really too bad.

#10  OtinG 05-22-2019, 12:09 PM
You are forgetting one important detail as far as desktops go. It is easy to build your own Windows box, and cheaper. If you are buying off the rack then the prices might be similar, but you can certainly build a WinBox cheaper. That is what I did in the 1990s and early 2000s. Okay two details: You can modify a WinBox and repair it yourself, not so easy to do that with Apple computers.

Next »  Last »  (1/5)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register