Mobileread
New Leaf Nominations for January 2019 • Lost in Translation: Other Tongues
#21  Catlady 12-02-2018, 03:35 PM
I've added the links for my earlier nomination Every Man Dies Alone.

#22  CRussel 12-02-2018, 04:54 PM
I've been informed that The Bat has been a selection of the MRBC in 2014, making it ineligible now. Given that, please remove it from consideration. A good book, and worth the read, but not eligible for consideration this time around. (Oh, and I'll take my ticket back, too. )

#23  CRussel 12-02-2018, 05:09 PM
Well, I know I don't particularly want to read anything WWII right now, so that's going to limit my choices. And while I'm a bit put off by the several references to "Kafkaesque" in the reviews, Embassytown by China Miéville does, at least, sound interesting, so now that I have one of my tickets back, I'll use it to second Embassytown.

#24  Bookpossum 12-02-2018, 07:23 PM
Quote stuartjmz
Since gmw has inspired many to go with books about translation, even if not actually translated themselves, I'm going to follow suit and recommend/rave about Embassytown - translation is literally what this book is all (or mostly) about
Is this a nomination? Dazrin has seconded it.

#25  stuartjmz 12-02-2018, 07:36 PM
Quote Bookpossum
Is this a nomination? Dazrin has seconded it.
Yes it was, sorry. I am new to the process and made a hash of it, happily Dazrin fixed it up nicely for me.

#26  Bookpossum 12-02-2018, 07:48 PM
Dazrin is very good at sorting us out!

#27  stuartjmz 12-02-2018, 08:04 PM
Quote issybird
I'll quibble and say that even the best translation is an approximation; there's always some loss, some compromise. One of the peculiarities about translations is that they tend to age poorly while the original in its own language stays fresh.
This is one of the things I like about the Buss translation of Monte Cristo - Buss's own comments about translation and the role of the translator. Your comments on the "ageing" of translations vs originals has me intrigued. I only have one book I can test that on, so I shall keep Kipling's19th-century Jungle Book on hand while I work through Ajay Anand's 21st-century Hindi translation to see how they stack up, thanks.

#28  Bookpossum 12-02-2018, 08:18 PM
I would like to nominate The Leopard by Giuseppe Tomasi di Lampedusa. From Kobo:

In the spring of 1860, Fabrizio, the charismatic Prince of Salina, still rules over thousands of acres and hundreds of people, including his own numerous family, in mingled splendour and squalor. Then comes Garibaldi's landing in Sicily and the Prince must decide whether to resist the forces of change or come to terms with them.
This is a book translated from Italian into English, but of course it is also about the loss of a way of life and coming to terms with change.

327 pages
Kobo prices: $US9.99, $C13.99, $A14,99, $NZ20.34, £3.99.

(Some of these prices are a bit eye-watering, but people may be prepared to travel. I would also expect the book to be widely available in libraries.)

#29  stuartjmz 12-02-2018, 08:51 PM
Quote Bookpossum
I would like to nominate The Leopard by Giuseppe Tomasi di Lampedusa. From Kobo:

This is a book translated from Italian into English, but of course it is also about the loss of a way of life and coming to terms with change.

327 pages
Kobo prices: $US9.99, $C13.99, $A14,99, $NZ20.34, £3.99.

(Some of these prices are a bit eye-watering, but people may be prepared to travel. I would also expect the book to be widely available in libraries.)

It does sound like an interesting story. It's aggravating to note that the NZ price (exchange-adjusted) is roughly one-third more than the US price.

#30  gmw 12-02-2018, 09:08 PM
Quote stuartjmz
It does sound like an interesting story. It's aggravating to note that the NZ price (exchange-adjusted) is roughly one-third more than the US price.
Yes, apparently freighting all those electrons to the Antipodes is very expensive. Maybe electrons spin backwards down here like everything else, and so it costs extra.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (3/7)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register