Mobileread
New Leaf Nominations for December 2018 • Just for Fun: Guilty Pleasures
#61  Catlady 11-06-2018, 11:35 PM
Quote darryl
I hope that I'm not crossing the line into politics here if I observe that I find mentions of the elections in a thread with "Guilty Pleasures" in the title ironic. Donald Trump seems to be the jealously guarded guilty (and secret) pleasure of many voters.
Some of us think the November theme, Lies and Misdirections, is more applicable to that individual.

#62  darryl 11-07-2018, 12:39 AM
Quote Catlady
Some of us think the November theme, Lies and Misdirections, is more applicable to that individual.
That theme is applicable to Politicians in general of whatever stripe. Personally I find exceptions to be very rare.

#63  issybird 11-07-2018, 07:21 AM
There's a poll!

#64  Catlady 11-07-2018, 09:01 AM
Quote darryl
That theme is applicable to Politicians in general of whatever stripe. Personally I find exceptions to be very rare.
False equivalence. Politicians may shade the truth and make questionable promises, but most politicians do not blatantly lie thirty times a day, offer alternative facts, and gaslight the public.

Sorry, I'll stop now.

#65  issybird 11-07-2018, 09:08 AM
Quote Catlady
Sorry, I'll stop now.
It would probably be a good thing if we could draw a line under this particular line of discussion.

We've got a book choice we can battle about instead.

#66  Bookpossum 11-09-2018, 06:18 PM
Quote issybird
I remember greatly enjoying Howard's early, witty novels, the pre-Cazelet ones. I can't remember them well, but the titles still resonate. Odd Girl Out. Mr. Wrong. I would love an excuse to revisit with Getting It Right.

When I was looking up the titles just now, I came across an interesting article in the Guardian: Elizabeth Jane Howard: Hilary Mantel on the novelist she tells everyone to read. It's longish but worth a skim.
Very belatedly, thanks very much for the link to this article, issybird. I enjoyed reading it very much. And I do recommend all of Howard's books for anyone wanting to explore the work of an author new to them.

« First  « Prev   (7/7)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register