Mobileread
New Leaf Nominations for December 2018 • Just for Fun: Guilty Pleasures
#11  issybird 11-02-2018, 02:29 PM
Quote Catlady
What became of the Scarlet Pimpernel and the Purple Gentian?
I considered nominating The Scarlet Pimpernel. Maybe it's meant to be.

#12  Catlady 11-02-2018, 02:50 PM
Quote issybird
I considered nominating The Scarlet Pimpernel. Maybe it's meant to be.
I've been putting off reading the Pink Carnation series because I think I should read The Scarlet Pimpernel first ...

#13  issybird 11-02-2018, 02:53 PM
Quote Catlady
I've been putting off reading the Pink Carnation series because I think I should read The Scarlet Pimpernel first ...
No should about it. You must. Oh, how I loved that as a pre-adolescent. I can see I'll have to nominate it. (probably )

#14  CRussel 11-02-2018, 03:21 PM
Yes The Scarlet Pimpernel is definitely something everyone should read. At least, if my memories of it are still valid. (Witness the very problems with T3M, after all.) But really, it's the basis for so many things. And I remember it as fun. But I wouldn't put it in the Guilty Pleasures category?

#15  issybird 11-02-2018, 03:55 PM
Quote CRussel
Yes The Scarlet Pimpernel is definitely something everyone should read. At least, if my memories of it are still valid. (Witness the very problems with T3M, after all.) But really, it's the basis for so many things. And I remember it as fun. But I wouldn't put it in the Guilty Pleasures category?
And since when did you become such a stickler?

It could be a guilty pleasure because I darn near memorized it, I read it so many times.

#16  CRussel 11-02-2018, 04:48 PM
Hey, everyone's definition of guilty pleasures is different -- if it's yours, then by all means nominate it. For me, it's part of the fabric of our shared civilization. I read it in my youth, and while I remember none of it with any detail, I remember little pastiches from it. I'll be happy to read it again, so go for it. And if catlady hasn't read it, by all means nominate it!

#17  Catlady 11-02-2018, 05:13 PM
Quote CRussel
Hey, everyone's definition of guilty pleasures is different -- if it's yours, then by all means nominate it. For me, it's part of the fabric of our shared civilization. I read it in my youth, and while I remember none of it with any detail, I remember little pastiches from it. I'll be happy to read it again, so go for it. And if catlady hasn't read it, by all means nominate it!
I don't know if I read it or not. Was there a Classics Illustrated comic book?

#18  Bookworm_Girl 11-02-2018, 07:15 PM
I consider Guilty Pleasure an individual choice. One person’s guilty pleasure may be another person’s normal or another person’s torture.

#19  Catlady 11-02-2018, 07:26 PM
Quote Bookworm_Girl
I consider Guilty Pleasure an individual choice. One person’s guilty pleasure may be another person’s normal or another person’s torture.
I'm thinking of Guilty Pleasure as something that's entertaining or popular rather than highbrow and "good for you"--potato chips rather than spinach.

#20  CRussel 11-02-2018, 07:34 PM
That's the beauty of themes -- they go any way you want them to. And sometimes in ways no one expects. So, if someone is nominating The Scarlet Pimpernel, I'm quite willing to second it. And then hold onto my last ticket for a bit.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/7)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register