Mobileread
RBdigital
#1  issybird 10-03-2018, 12:52 PM
I got an email from one of my libraries to say that it's switching away from the audiobook component of Hoopla to RBdigital. I have mixed feelings about this; on the one hand I've still got access to Hoopla through another library (with much fewer borrows), but on the other I like Hoopla's midlist/backlist/classic audiobooks and the email sounds as if RBdigital's offerings are a lot more current/popular. They mention Evanovitch, Koontz and Gabaldon, none of whom interests me.

Can anyone who has access to or uses both compare the audiobook libraries? Just in general terms, of course.

#2  tubemonkey 10-03-2018, 02:41 PM
All of my libraries have dropped Hoopla audiobooks and two of them now use RBdigital. I don't think I've tried it yet.

#3  issybird 10-03-2018, 04:25 PM
Quote tubemonkey
All of my libraries have dropped Hoopla audiobooks and two of them now use RBdigital. I don't think I've tried it yet.
I've taken a look and I'm not impressed. Fingers crossed FLP doesn't drop Hoopla; it's my go-to source for P.G. Wodehouse audiobooks. And no waiting means that I can listen as the mood strikes me.

#4  AnemicOak 10-03-2018, 04:42 PM
RB Digital (RB is short for Recorded Books) is like OverDrive when it comes to content. It depends on what the library buys.

RB Digital's audiobook availabilty is made up of "over 35,000 titles published by Recorded Books, as well as tens of thousands of premium audiobooks from other major publishers".

#5  SeaBookGuy 02-09-2019, 02:46 PM
My library only has one RB title in which I'm particularly interested (Jane and the Waterloo Map).

#6  Bookworm_Girl 02-09-2019, 03:13 PM
I'm curious, issybird. How have you liked the RBdigital app for audiobooks?

I find the app is slow and sometimes freezes. The app interface was so much better when it was OneClickdigital. I stopped borrowing from their audio catalog when they switched names to RBdigital.

Also interesting is that many libraries use RBdigital for magazines. One of my libraries just abandoned RBdigital and switched to Flipster.

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register