Mobileread
audiobooks that you bought but are no longer available
#1  pwalker8 05-06-2018, 06:57 PM
Over the years, I've bought a lot of audiobooks. Most of my audiobooks come from audible (over 600 since 2006), but I suspect that some books that are no longer in the audible store, are no longer in my audible library for download. Others I have the cd's, though most of those, I went ahead and replaced them with the downloaded audiobook (I got all the Harry Potter books on CD, then downloaded them from the Pottermore site when they became available), but some I'm not sure where I got them.

Primary is the Rob Ingles LOTR readings. I find it very surprising that these books aren't available on audible. I have the cd's of course, but the downloaded versions are all m4b files. That implies that I got them might have gotten them from iTunes (they are available on iTunes for download as are the Harry Potter books), but they aren't listed in my purchased books. Hum. I really thought that I bought them from audible, but they aren't listed in my books there either. They were available on audible at one time, which makes me suspect that is where I bought them.

Anyone notice audiobooks that you purchased missing from your audible library?

(note, this isn't really a problem, since I always download all my audiobooks. It's mostly a matter of curiousity)

#2  AnemicOak 05-06-2018, 11:13 PM
I had one book missing from Audible a couple of years ago (Across the Nightingale Floor), but I emailed CS and they restored my access to it. AFAIK I currently have nothing missing, but my library is at 971 titles so I might not miss something unless I go looking for the specific title.

#3  David Munch 05-07-2018, 03:28 AM
I download all audiobooks I buy, and store them myself, so I have easy access to them, so I wouldn't notice if any go missing.

I had considered stop doing this, since I could always just download them from the source, but this thread is a good splinter in that idea.

#4  pwalker8 05-07-2018, 07:28 AM
Quote David Munch
I download all audiobooks I buy, and store them myself, so I have easy access to them, so I wouldn't notice if any go missing.

I had considered stop doing this, since I could always just download them from the source, but this thread is a good splinter in that idea.
I learned my lesson way back in the early days of ebooks when peanut press (I think that was the company) went belly up. The Incomplete Enchanter was the first ebook that I bought. After they went belly up, it was quite a few years before I could find a new copy of the ebook. Now, I download everything, remove DRM and make backup copies of everything.

It stood me in good stead when Sony closed down their ebook store. While they transferred my library to Kobo, they didn't transfer the books they no longer carried. There were about a dozen out of 200+ ebooks that didn't get transferred. Fortunately, I had copies of them all.

On one of the photography podcasts, one of the photographers said that he keeps 3 copies of all his pictures - one on a local hard drive, one on an external raid hard drive and one off site on a cloud server. I do that with all my ebooks, audiobooks and movies as well as things like photos, code or video that I might want to keep.

#5  sakura-panda 05-07-2018, 11:29 AM
Quote pwalker8
Primary is the Rob Ingles LOTR readings. I find it very surprising that these books aren't available on audible.
I just did a search, and these books seems to be available both in my library and in the Audible store.

image »

(I have not noticed any missing recordings, but I have always been able to find the books I want in my library; I probably wouldn't notice unless I couldn't access one.)

#6  pwalker8 05-07-2018, 01:07 PM
Quote sakura-panda
I just did a search, and these books seems to be available both in my library and in the Audible store.

image »

(I have not noticed any missing recordings, but I have always been able to find the books I want in my library; I probably wouldn't notice unless I couldn't access one.)
Well that is odd. Maybe I typoed something.

#7  Tarana 05-07-2018, 01:38 PM
It happens very rarely. Even though the audiobook is no longer available for sale, it should remain in your library. If you think you have books missing, make a list. Then go through the PURCHASES section on your account and find the order # and date. Write it down, then contact Customer Service and they can reinstate it.

I still download and remove DRM on all my audiobook purchases just-in-case. Any major company can suddenly shut down a division. There are possibilities that there is a glitch in the copy available on Audible for something they can no longer sell. I also have to recognize the problems I will have when I no longer have a second income - I won't be able to afford WIFI and will have to go to the library to download any Audible content. Better for me now to download and be prepared for that.

#8  Barbara1955 05-07-2018, 03:25 PM
With me its the Matching eBook Missing....grrr Or the ebook & Audible are there but Don't match!

#9  Amazondoc 06-29-2018, 02:25 PM
Quote Tarana

I still download and remove DRM on all my audiobook purchases just-in-case.
What do you use for the DRM?

My favorite audiobook app -- Bookmobile -- will no longer deal well with Audible books. It constantly loses its place, occasionally plays a random mp3, and so on. It works fine with mp3 files, though. So I've been thinking about finding some way to convert my aax files.

#10  Tarana 06-29-2018, 06:26 PM
Quote Amazondoc
What do you use for the DRM?

My favorite audiobook app -- Bookmobile -- will no longer deal well with Audible books. It constantly loses its place, occasionally plays a random mp3, and so on. It works fine with mp3 files, though. So I've been thinking about finding some way to convert my aax files.
How are you downloading the current Audible audiobooks? Enhanced or Format 4? That may make a difference with using your Bookmobile. Otherwise, consider going back to the Audible app.

I can't give you info on removing DRM as it's against Mobileread rules.

Next »  Last »  (1/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register