Mobileread
Blast from the Past
#1  tubemonkey 01-06-2017, 12:12 AM
Who remembers:

image »

Fizzies

Ruth Millard invented the idea for Emerson Drug Company, manufacturer of Bromo-Seltzer, by adding a fruit flavor that children liked. Once perfected, Emerson named the creation Fizzies. The tablet was dropped into a glass of water, then fizzed and dissolved, creating a sweet, effervescent drink. Fizzies were first introduced by Emerson on a regional basis in July 1957. In 1962, the Emerson Drug Company was acquired by Warner–Lambert, which sold the product nationally that same year.[1] In the 1950s and 1960s Fizzies came in seven flavors: grape, orange, cherry, lemon-lime, strawberry, root beer, and cola. Fizzies' sales grew both nationally and internationally until 1968, achieving more than double the sales volume of Kool-Aid.[2][full citation needed] Fizzies was also one of the sponsors for "The Shari Lewis Show" on NBC-TV in the early 1960s and pitched by Lewis herself.

The successful beverage became a cultural icon of its time. In the motion picture National Lampoon's Animal House, set in 1962, Dean Wormer reads a list of pranks committed by members of the Delta House fraternity, which included dumping "a truckload of Fizzies" into a swimming pool during a swim meet.

#2  cromag 01-06-2017, 12:26 AM
Of course!

#3  tubemonkey 01-06-2017, 12:32 AM
Quote cromag
Of course!
Yummy, right?

I hated those things... yuck!

#4  cromag 01-06-2017, 12:42 AM
"Yummy" didn't really factor in. My parents didn't like them, so I got them whenever possible!

#5  tubemonkey 01-06-2017, 12:45 AM
The good ole days when smoking was a harmless pastime...

The first two seasons were co-sponsored by Winston cigarettes and the characters appeared in several black-and-white television commercials for Winston (dictated by the custom, at that time, that the star(s) of a TV series often "pitched" their sponsor's product in an "integrated commercial" at the end of the episode).
YouTube clip »

#6  jswinden 01-06-2017, 12:47 AM
Orange flavor lets us know it wasn't real oranges. Seems like that would have been enough. But they added the qualifier "imitation" as well. So I guess you can imagine what imitation flavor tasted like! I remember the Shari Lewis Show and Lambchop, but I don't remember Fizzies.

#7  jswinden 01-06-2017, 12:59 AM
Quote tubemonkey
The good ole days when smoking was a harmless pastime...

YouTube clip »
I was trying to figure out the connection with the bottom-right image that displays after the video stops, or maybe I was just staring, but anyway I zoomed in on it to read the text on my iPad and then saw it was about weird Japanese shows. Still not sure how that is connected to Fred and Barney and Granny though.

#8  tubemonkey 01-06-2017, 01:14 AM
Quote cromag
"Yummy" didn't really factor in. My parents didn't like them, so I got them whenever possible!
Like I said, I hated them. I preferred Pixy Stix:

image »

Pixy Stix is a sweet and sour colored powdered candy usually packaged in a wrapper that resembles a drinking straw. Pixy Stix is a registered trademark of Société des Produits Nestlé S.A., Vevey, Switzerland.

~~~~~~~

Pixy Stix were invented by Sunline Inc. in St. Louis, Missouri. The concept for this powdered candy originated in 1942 and was derived from a penny drink mix sold as Fruzola Jr. by the Fruzola Company in Salt Lake City, Utah. When J. Fish Smith found that kids were eating the sweet and sour powder straight from the package, he modified the formula and branded it as Lik-M-Aid.

#9  FizzyWater 01-06-2017, 02:51 AM
My aunt, who lived in rural Ohio, had Fizzies to disguise the taste of the well water. I don't remember if she herself used them, but all my cousins and I did when I was visiting there!

#10  poohbear_nc 01-06-2017, 08:29 AM
We used to put a Fizzie in our mouth and pretend to have rabies .... foaming at the mouth .... yeah, stupid, ... especially when it bubbled out your nose .... that really hurt ...

Sigh, such fond memories of childhood stupidities.

Next »  Last »  (1/38)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register