Mobileread
No Contract Phones as Audio Players
#1  tubemonkey 11-27-2014, 10:47 AM
No Contract Phones as Audio Players

Several of us are or have purchased no-contract phones (NCPs) with the intent to use them as audio players for audiobooks and music. These devices will be used in ways similar to the iPod touch and Galaxy Players, both of which aging devices operating on older operating systems.

Most of the NCPs are Android 4.4 devices, but other platforms are also welcome (iOS, Windows). Most of the time, suggestions and issues will be platform based; which is why this thread is for all models.

So tell us which NCP you have and your intended uses for it

No Contract Phones (release date)================================================== ==========

References / Sources.

#2  tubemonkey 11-27-2014, 10:51 AM
I just ordered the LG Volt from RadioShack for $30 and plan to use it for streaming music, playing audiobooks (streaming and downloads), checking out library books for my K4S, as a remote (Grace Internet Radio, Fire TV Stick, Amazon Echo), and an occasional game or two.

#3  copyrite 11-27-2014, 10:54 AM
This would be great for my podcast listening habit! And not run down the phone battery.

#4  tubemonkey 11-27-2014, 10:57 AM
Quote copyrite
This would be great for my podcast listening habit! And not run down the phone battery.
It would. If you don't have one of these NCPs, I'd recommend the LG Volt. It's currently on sale for $30~$40. See this post for details.

#5  tamborine 11-27-2014, 04:51 PM
Quote tubemonkey
Several of us are or have purchased no-contract phones (NCP) with the intent to use them as audio players for audiobooks and music. These devices will be used in ways similar to the iPod touch and Galaxy Players, both of which aging devices operating on older operating systems.

Most of the NCPs are Android 4.4 devices, but other platforms are also welcome (iOS, Windows). Most of the time, suggestions and issues will be platform based; which is why this thread is for all models.

So tell us which NCP you have and your intended uses for it
Thanks for posting the Volt deal! I picked one up on the Radio Shack site, after getting the $10 discount code. So now I'll use this as my audiobook player/chromecast remote instead of my old, half-dead iPhone 4. I'd been considering getting a Fire phone for this purpose when I saw it dropped to $199, which, in retrospect, was a stupid idea. I sure know how to waste money!

#6  Barbara1955 11-27-2014, 05:36 PM
Tips & information I get on this site is PRICELESS!

#7  booklover6 11-28-2014, 08:35 AM
Quote tamborine
. I'd been considering getting a Fire phone for this purpose when I saw it dropped to $199, which, in retrospect, was a stupid idea. I sure know how to waste money!
Me, too! The Fire phone is on my "nice to have but still too expensive" list. I'd love to waste money on it. But I don't do phones with data, so to get it just for wifi, no. That would be a waste, for me. I have a $40 windows phone for phoney things. And now a $40 LG Volt on the way for my audio books!

I am currently using an AT&T Radiant phone for audio books. The bad thing is, it only has 2gb memory. I am already out of space, and I've only had it since Nov 6. When my Volt gets here, I am giving the Radiant to my 17yo son, it will be a big upgrade from his Pantech.

#8  glos 11-28-2014, 09:00 AM
My only problem would be no buttons i can press blindly to stop/play go forward/back a song, which i constantly do with my ipod when I'm walking.
I just keep it in my pocket and feel the buttons...
Would they work with a set of earphones with controls (do they even exist? i keep seeing them with volume controls, but play/stop etc)?

#9  tubemonkey 11-28-2014, 09:09 AM
Quote tamborine
Thanks for posting the Volt deal! I picked one up on the Radio Shack site, after getting the $10 discount code. So now I'll use this as my audiobook player/chromecast remote instead of my old, half-dead iPhone 4. I'd been considering getting a Fire phone for this purpose when I saw it dropped to $199, which, in retrospect, was a stupid idea. I sure know how to waste money!
YW

Quote booklover6
Me, too! The Fire phone is on my "nice to have but still too expensive" list. I'd love to waste money on it. But I don't do phones with data, so to get it just for wifi, no. That would be a waste, for me. I have a $40 windows phone for phoney things. And now a $40 LG Volt on the way for my audio books!
I have both -- Fire Phone & LG Volt

#10  booklover6 12-02-2014, 02:06 PM
My LG Volt is ready for action. I am going to test the services I use, and will update this post as I go.

I can change the volume with the keys on this phone, w/o having to wake it up.

Scribd audio books - played flawlessly.

Overdrive audio - played flawlessly

Audible books - played flawlessly

KU audio books - these I had to access through the Kindle reading app. Doing so caused the ebook to open. At the top is a headphones icon. Tap that and then download the audio book. After downloading, played flawlessly.

All in all, I am quite satisfied with this no contract phone as an audio device. I still have 1.79GB available.

It wants to find the mother ship, but I just ignore that.

Next »  Last »  (1/11)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register