Mobileread
Adams, Henry: Democracy. v1. 14 June 07
#1  Anais9000 06-14-2007, 07:41 PM
1880 This anonymously-published novel of Washington intrigue was the "Primary Colors" of its day. Features minor characters Gore, Senator Clinton and spouse -- believe it or not.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
[lrf] Democracy.lrf (367.4 KB, 1017 views)

#2  HarryT 06-15-2007, 03:33 AM
Attachment removed while copyright issues are investigated.

#3  Madam Broshkina 06-15-2007, 06:43 AM
Attachment removed while copyright issues are investigated
The book is available at Project Gutenberg: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/2815

And Manybooks.net at:
http://manybooks.net/titles/adamshenetext01demam10.html

#4  HarryT 06-15-2007, 07:56 AM
Yes, we are aware that the book is available in the public domain. The issue is whether the specific version uploaded is free from copyright, because it appears to be a commercial e-Book. We are seeking clarification from the uploader as to its origin.

#5  HarryT 06-15-2007, 09:43 AM
Clarified with the uploader. Attachment restored.

#6  JSWolf 06-20-2007, 06:40 AM
I'm reading this at the small size. So all page numbers referred to are at small.

So far it is an interesting read. Anyway, here is my (so far) list of things that need fixing. I did clarify some with my wife in case it was a UK way of doing something.

Page 9: forty millions should be forty million

Page 26: to-day should be today & na-tive should be native

Page 31: to-morrow should be tomorrow

Page 38: Webster 's should be Webster's

Page 44: practising should be practicing

Page 53: to-day should be today

Page 57: to-night should be tonight

Page 67: chuckied should be chuckled

Page 69: to-morrow should be tomorrow

This next request is for myself only. Would it be possible please to remove the line spaces and put in paragraph indents? Thanks!

Jon

#7  Anais9000 06-20-2007, 11:29 AM
Thanks for noting the two errors above (" 's", "chuckied") ; they'll certainly be fixed in a future edition. The rest are the orthography and usage of the period, except "na-tive" -- where Adams is burlesquing his heroine's Boston accent. See for instance http://books.google.com/books?id=k-kBAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA1

#8  JSWolf 06-20-2007, 11:43 AM
So things like "forty Millions" instead of "forty million" are correct? Was it the practice back then to use bad grammar and poor spelling aka practising?

#9  NatCh 06-20-2007, 12:14 PM
Quote JSWolf
So things like "forty Millions" instead of "forty million" are correct? Was it the practice back then to use bad grammar and poor spelling aka practising?
It sounds like it's at least partly a matter of regional dialectoid type variance, JSWolf. Then too, there's the effect of usage drift, i.e. things that are correct now weren't then and vice versa, language and usage have shifted a bit even in a mere 210 years.

#10  JSWolf 06-20-2007, 12:37 PM
Quote NatCh
It sounds like it's at least partly a matter of regional dialectoid type variance, JSWolf. Then too, there's the effect of usage drift, i.e. things that are correct now weren't then and vice versa, language and usage have shifted a bit even in a mere 210 years.
Well, my wife is from Scotland and she has also lived in Englad and Germany as well. I asked her about this and she said that "forty millions" and "practising" were incorrect. The rest just look wrong because there doesn't seem to be a good way to handle a Boston accent in print. I would have just not bothered to be honest since it just looks like errant hyphens left in by mistake.

Next »  Last »  (1/4)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register