Mobileread
What are we listening to? (audiobooks)
#2761  pwalker8 11-23-2019, 03:00 PM
Finished up the first of the Rivers of London books. I agree that it's well done. There was a one minute section roughly 3/4th's of the way through where the narrator changed voice slightly and there was a bit of a cough. I suspect an editor issue rather than a narrator though.

Moved on to Winter Warriors, the next in the Drenai series by David Gemmell.

#2762  ElspethB 11-23-2019, 08:07 PM
Quote Paperbackstash
I'm listening to the Terror by Dan Simmons on Audible and the narrator is excellent so far. On Chapter 7. It's a long one.
I quite agree. I thought Sellwood did an admirable job with the many accents. One of the best books I listened to last year.

#2763  taosaur 11-24-2019, 09:11 PM
Quote ElspethB
I quite agree. I thought Sellwood did an admirable job with the many accents. One of the best books I listened to last year.
I've been meaning to pick up more Dan Simmons - Carrion Comfort was possibly the most genuinely creepy horror novel I've read, and I used to read quite a lot of horror. I've about hit my limit on Spellmonger and have some credits to burn, so maybe I'll grab The Terror. I didn't realize the TV series was based on a Simmons book.

ETA: Library had it! They had two editions, one read by John Lee (same reader I've been listing to for 3.5 Spellmonger books) and one with a cover that said Simon Vance, but a listing that said Tom Sellwood, so I guess I'll find out what I got when it downloads...

#2764  Paperbackstash 11-25-2019, 08:26 AM
Quote Tarana
Are these read from books? I didn't know there were Perry Mason books. I have the tv series and the old radio series - my late SIL and I had literally nothing else in common except my brother and Perry Mason.
Oops I'm sorry, I didn't notice your response. looks like others answered. They are well written to me - they remind me of the old hard case crime /noirish mystery type of writing and dialogue style.

#2765  Paperbackstash 11-25-2019, 08:28 AM
Quote Apache
In the early Perry Mason books Mason was very hardboiled and not above breaking the law. Gardner toned him down in later books. The first book didn't even have a court room scene.
Apache
Yes, I'm still in the early books and am enjoying it. He comes across more than a usual lawyer, that's for sure. Sorry to hear that tones down later.

#2766  mrgrtt123 11-25-2019, 07:03 PM
I just started listening to Talking to Strangers by Malcolm Gladwell.

#2767  SeaBookGuy 11-26-2019, 11:59 AM
Listening to a memoir Between the Stops: The View of My Life from the Top of the Number 12 Bus by Sandi Toksvig. She is apparently famous in Britain, but I had not heard of her until browsing Audible for recent books. She's very funny!

#2768  Apache 11-26-2019, 03:02 PM
Quote SeaBookGuy
Listening to a memoir Between the Stops: The View of My Life from the Top of the Number 12 Bus by Sandi Toksvig. She is apparently famous in Britain, but I had not heard of her until browsing Audible for recent books. She's very funny!
She is also the co-presenter of The Great British Bake Off.
Apache

#2769  taosaur 11-26-2019, 10:46 PM
The Terror (was indeed the Tom Sellwood version) is proving a good pre-winter read, but not at all suitable for bedtime. I've been retreating to The Spellmonger's Honeymoon for my bedtime story.

I've also been listening to dharma talks during my morning routine the last 2-3 weeks, mostly Gil Fronsdale via the Audio Dharma app. Simmons' lurid caricatures make quite the contrast to lectures on loving kindness.

#2770  FizzyWater 11-27-2019, 03:48 PM
Listening to The Devil in the White City by Eric Larsen, read by Scott Brick. About a quarter of the way in, and it's more about the "White City" (the 1893 Chicago World's Fair) than the "Devil" (H.H. Holmes, murdering bad guy) so far. Interesting story so far, regardless. I knew absolutely nothing about the Chicago World's Fair (other than it existed), so I'm enjoying learning about it.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (277/295)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register