Mobileread
What are we listening to? (audiobooks)
#2741  SeaBookGuy 11-17-2019, 01:49 PM
Yesterday, I finished The Satapur Moonstone, second in a series set in 1920s India. More of a historical fiction than mystery, almost as though the author realized two-thirds of the way through that she had to provide some sort of crisis and resolution. I didn't feel it stood alone, so I would strongly recommend reading The Widows of Malabar Hill first. They changed narrators, with the first one being more Bombay, and the second more Oxford.

#2742  trichobezoar 11-17-2019, 02:52 PM
Quote pwalker8
As Napoleon was credited with saying, Ask anything of me but time. Time is too short for me to waste time listening to a book that I'm not enjoying.
Quote taosaur
It doesn't sound like enjoyment was the primary purpose or goal. Whether the material serves trichobezoar's purposes is another question.
Thank you, Taosaur. Indeed, I was listening to The Power of Now for information, not to be entertained. It is poetic--the words poetic mysticism come to mind. One could compare Eckhart Tolle's words to Kahlil Gibran's. Both enlightened beings, in my opinion. I had a hard time listening to his audiobook because of the obstacles within (psychological hindrances). You have to be in a certain frame of mind to listen--open-minded and willing.

The Power of Now isn't for everyone. It's for those who are seeking something beyond the superficial--nuggets of truth and pearls of wisdom.

#2743  ApK 11-18-2019, 11:54 AM
After REALLY enjoying "The Expanse" TV series on Prime Video last year, I'm finally listening to the first Expanse novel, "Leviathan Wakes." I'm really enjoying the content so far. It's one of those fortunate "The show is great, and the book is even better" situations.
But, a third of the way in, I have some issues with the narrator's pronounciation, which surprised me:

One, the name of the book is "Leviathan Wakes." But twice in the introduction, the narrator referred to it as "Leviathan Awakes." I found that immediately weird.

Two, he repeatedly pronounces the series's primary propulsion system, the Epstein Drive, invented by Solomon Epstein, as an "Eep-steen" drive, long "e" at the beginning.
I've known an number of Epsteins. Some were Steens, some were Stines, but all had a short e in Ep at the beginning.

Three, he pronounces the name of the star Tau Ceti as "Tau SEE' Thai." I'm pretty dang sure it's supposed to be "seh tee" not SEE Thai"

I'm especially curious about all these issues, because I read there was a flap about another narrator doing book 4, and there was such a clamor over how bad he was, that Audible remade the book with this original guy by popular demand.

So is it just me....? i mean I otherwise like the performance, but these issues are distracting, especially since "Eeepsteeen" comes up so frequently.

ApK

ETA:. Ok, I did a little research, and it seems that some sources do indeed pronounce Ceti as See' Thai.
But this is science fiction, and science fiction has exactly one definitive pronunciation of Ceti:
YouTube clip »

#2744  Tarana 11-18-2019, 01:37 PM
Finished I Shall Wear Midnight by Terry Pratchett and started Snuff, which is also in the same series. Both are narrated by Stephen Briggs. As usual, wonderful performance and great and funny books! I also finished The Lost World by Arthur Conan Doyle and narrated by Paul Hecht. All I can say is that it made a better movie and I'm glad I got it from the library and didn't buy it. The arrogance of some of these guys almost made me quit the book. Obviously, he was trying to portray characters, but geeze. Maybe it's the writing style - I've never been a big fan of Sherlock Holmes books but I always assumed it was the drug references that turned me off.

Oh, and gotta tell you guys about something so exciting. I went into Miracle Ear for my hearing aid checkup and they upgraded my hearing aid for free! Now I can listen to audiobooks directly from my Iphone app into the hearing aid via bluetooth!!So much nicer when I'm out and about. I have the cheapest from the top-of-the-line.

#2745  CRussel 11-18-2019, 02:44 PM
@ApK: Sometimes, a so-so narrator is "the devil you know" as opposed to the new, even worse narrator. I've seen that in series before. (And I agree, Eeep-steen would drive me nuts.

@Tarana: I saw about your hearing aid upgrade in another thread, and I think that's simply wonderful. What a perfect solution!

Currently listening to the second of Elizabeth George's Inspector Lynley/DS Havers series books, read by the incomparable Donada Peters (aka, Nadia May, real name Wanda McCaddon).

#2746  ApK 11-18-2019, 03:03 PM
Quote Tarana
Oh, and gotta tell you guys about something so exciting. I went into Miracle Ear for my hearing aid checkup and they upgraded my hearing aid for free! Now I can listen to audiobooks directly from my Iphone app into the hearing aid via bluetooth!!So much nicer when I'm out and about. I have the cheapest from the top-of-the-line.

This is bordering on bionic cyborg tech. Hook up a laser mic, and you pretty much have super powers.

#2747  pwalker8 11-18-2019, 05:04 PM
Quote Tarana
Finished I Shall Wear Midnight by Terry Pratchett and started Snuff, which is also in the same series. Both are narrated by Stephen Briggs. As usual, wonderful performance and great and funny books! I also finished The Lost World by Arthur Conan Doyle and narrated by Paul Hecht. All I can say is that it made a better movie and I'm glad I got it from the library and didn't buy it. The arrogance of some of these guys almost made me quit the book. Obviously, he was trying to portray characters, but geeze. Maybe it's the writing style - I've never been a big fan of Sherlock Holmes books but I always assumed it was the drug references that turned me off.

That was pretty much the Victorian mindset. You see it in Kipling as well. I read a lot of books from the turn of the century to the 20's or so. I find that I have to kind of flip a switch in my head when I read those type of books. They are definitely jarring viewed through the lens of in this more cynical, PC world.

Oddly enough, I just finished reading Space Cadet, one of Robert Heinlein's juvies from 1948. Let's just say that we don't quite have the faith in men of science that they did back then and certainly word word sexist comes to mind. It was just a different time.

Wonderful about your hearing aid. Congratulations!

#2748  SeaBookGuy 11-19-2019, 05:18 PM
Julia Whalen is doing a terrific job reading Ottessa Moshfegh's My Year of Rest and Relaxation, which involves a brat scoring downers off her shady shrink to get through life. Great satire!

#2749  Catlady 11-19-2019, 09:04 PM
Quote SeaBookGuy
Julia Whalen is doing a terrific job reading Ottessa Moshfegh's My Year of Rest and Relaxation, which involves a brat scoring downers off her shady shrink to get through life. Great satire!
Did you read Moshfegh's Eileen? I thought that had a pretty high ick factor, and I'm wondering if My Year of Rest and Relaxation is less gross.

#2750  SeaBookGuy 11-20-2019, 01:07 PM
Quote Catlady
Did you read Moshfegh's Eileen? I thought that had a pretty high ick factor, and I'm wondering if My Year of Rest and Relaxation is less gross.
No, but in another form when I mentioned that the characters here can be quite unlikable, a poster responded he felt that way about Eileen. Not so much gross, although the rare explicit sex discussions I skimmed through and I'm no prude, but that the main character is basically a lazy brat, and her shrink is more of a mess than she is. I'm enjoying the satirical aspects of the story.

Put it this way - not sorry I dropped an Audible credit on it.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (275/279)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register