Mobileread
Incomplete Information
#1  JSWolf 02-08-2020, 10:42 AM
Why is it that so many people ask for help yet do not give enough information to be helped?

#2  jhowell 02-08-2020, 11:01 AM
What do you mean? Could you provide more details?

#3  Barbara1955 02-08-2020, 11:11 AM
I can only figure they just want to give the Abridged version. I agree its Annoying.

#4  theducks 02-08-2020, 11:17 AM
What is really annoying is thinking what they gave us was for a STANDARD (commercial product) and find out 20 posts later they have customized, and are using a NAS or cloud or some configuration that only <1% of regular users use.

#5  DiapDealer 02-08-2020, 11:21 AM
Is it already time for Jon's annual plea to make certain profile info mandatory to join? My how time flies.

#6  JSWolf 02-08-2020, 11:32 AM
Quote DiapDealer
Is it already time for Jon's annual plea to make certain profile info mandatory to join? My how time flies.
There are a lot less requests for help that require someone's location then their used to be.

It's about not giving the information needed to try to help someone. The sort of thing we are getting is "Calibre isn't working. Please help.". We need the OS, the steps taken, anything out of the ordinary, etc.

#7  jackie_w 02-08-2020, 11:51 AM
Quote JSWolf
Why is it that so many people ask for help yet do not give enough information to be helped?
I think it's because they're members of the human race. I used to do PC Support as my day job back in the 80s-90s (I still bear the mental scars). It was no different then, independent of which company I was working for.

#8  DuckieTigger 02-08-2020, 11:56 AM
If you already know what information is necessary, and are aware why it possibly could make a big difference, you likely also already figured out the answer. If you get a generic question like "Calibre isn't working. Please help", it is up to you whether you want to answer or just let it go. If you feel like engaging, then you could answer with a "We may be able to help if you give a little more information what is not working and what you already tried to fix it."

It is not worth losing sleep over. And nobody mandates for you to answer.

#9  DiapDealer 02-08-2020, 11:59 AM
Quote JSWolf
It's about not giving the information needed to try to help someone. The sort of thing we are getting is "Calibre isn't working. Please help.". We need the OS, the steps taken, anything out of the ordinary, etc.

When has it ever been different. Ever?

Non-technical people will never be able to foresee everything that technical people will need to know in order to help them. It's a big part of why they are a) non-technical and b) seeking help.

As volunteers, we can get used to asking all of the questions we need to know the answers to to help (time and time again), or we can not help. Seems like you might be at a point where the latter is your best choice for a while.

#10  Dazrin 02-08-2020, 12:25 PM
Quote DiapDealer
When has it ever been different. Ever?

Non-technical people will never be able to foresee everything that technical people will need to know in order to help them. It's a big part of why they are a) non-technical and b) seeking help.

As volunteers, we can get used to asking all of the questions we need to know the answers to to help (time and time again), or we can not help. Seems like you might be at a point where the latter is your best choice for a while.
Exactly this.

I do tech support in another forum and even though we do have prompts and guidance questions to try to get enough information, many questions still get abbreviated to "Something's broken, please help!" without any of the necessary detail to let us actually help. Fortunately, in that forum, when I reply saying "we need more detail, can you provide x, y, z?" it sends them an email so most of the time they do respond with something. Not always what I asked for, but something.

Next »  Last »  (1/6)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register