Confessions of a Formatting Freak

At the Drop of a Format

Format Got Your Tongue?

Tex 's Not-So-Secret Diary

The Tex Journal
Too Texy for your Shirt

Hitch

#12  Tex2002ans 06-16-2018, 04:34 AM
Thanks for the suggestions Gregg. I'll have to take a look at that generator.

Quote Hitch
Too Texy for your Shirt
Too Texy for Your Books!

Quote gmw
If it was me, I'd keep it all on one just to avoid having to come up with two names!
Well, "Lingo Metrics" is fantastic for the secondary blog. But if I incorporate it all under one umbrella, I still need a great name for the overarching site.

Quote skb
* OMG I think it's actually two decades. I'm not sure how that happened!
So you're saying you are ancient and very wise for your years?

Quote skb
So, unless you've got at least 30 posts planned for each and will be actively stockpiling more, consider one blog. It's not as though you've got two totally different topics - they are related.

[...]

But content is king. And you'll need lots. If there's not fresh meat often and regular, people just stop coming. Trust me.
The technical portion would be much slower paced (maybe a biweekly/monthly post). I would want it as an ultimate resource on Topic X... and it takes time to dig through the backlog and reread+gather all the posts on a given topic.

The bulk of the time would be spent hunting down URLs and linking everything, plus coming up with proper examples/images (when I wrote my Formulas Tutorial... WOW, taking good screenshots took forever).

Most likely there would be short->medium-sized posts based on new/old material:

= = = = =

The statistics blog:

I could take book suggestions, and randomly pick and choose from books I've seen mentioned on MobileRead/Reddit. I also think tackling books in a series individually + together would be interesting.

The stats can be generated relatively quickly, and there are always more books to test. Once the methodology is down flat, the same analysis can be applied across books pretty consistently.

Then it's just digging through and trying to find what interesting quirks I could dig up, or new ways to look at old data.

Lately I came up with a method to break things down on a per-chapter level, so I could generate a chart like "# Words per Chapter" across all three Lord of the Rings books:

show attachment »

Quote skb
But content is king. And you'll need lots.
Have you seen my posts?

#13  BetterRed 06-16-2018, 07:10 AM
Blogs don't have to be linear, you could run two strands. For the techie strand I'm thinking maybe a wordplay around the Linotype machine - how about Digital Slugs.

For the actual blog, how about- A Texan Hacks . . . eBooks

BR

#14  BetterRed 06-17-2018, 02:55 AM
Tex, when talking to an Editor buddy this afternoon I mentioned my suggestion for Digital Slug, and the context; she informs me that 'Slug" also has relevance in Newspaper production, and Screenplays.

BR

#15  Hitch 06-17-2018, 05:02 AM
Quote BetterRed
Tex, when talking to an Editor buddy this afternoon I mentioned my suggestion for Digital Slug, and the context; she informs me that 'Slug" also has relevance in Newspaper production, and Screenplays.

BR
Yes, it does; and in layout, a "slug" is an area in which you put information about the layout or document you're doing. ;-) Not totally inappropriate for a blog. Although, "Too Sexy for my Slug" probably doesn't have that good old clever name ring to it.

P.S.: Not from Texas.

Hitch

#16  Tex2002ans 06-17-2018, 02:31 PM
Quote BetterRed
For the techie strand I'm thinking maybe a wordplay around the Linotype machine - how about Digital Slugs.
Yeah, I really like that name as well! You are great at coming up with names!

Both of yours are my favorite!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slug_(typesetting)

#17  BetterRed 06-17-2018, 06:36 PM
For the blog name how about: Babble On to Behistun

Added: You could have a third strand of occasional posts on the history of writing - Egyptian Hieroglyphs, Nordic Runes, Akkadian Cuneiform, etc.

BR

#18  theducks 06-17-2018, 09:36 PM
I remember using 'slugs' when setting cold type in High School.

#19  Tex2002ans 06-18-2018, 12:10 AM
Quote BetterRed
For the blog name how about: Babble On to Behistun

Added: You could have a third strand of occasional posts on the history of writing - Egyptian Hieroglyphs, Nordic Runes, Akkadian Cuneiform, etc.
Sounds like something more up the alley of BabelMap's blog:

https://babelstone.blogspot.com/

... the only language information I typically follow is getting lost down the Wikipedia Wormhole when new languages get added to Unicode (or when I see them mentioned in changelogs). Last time I got lost was researching Kabyle (a Berber language spoken by ~5.5 million people):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kabyle_language

#20  BetterRed 06-18-2018, 01:42 AM
Quote Tex2002ans
Sounds like something more up the alley of BabelMap's blog:
Babelstone's blog was probably rattling around at the back of my mind when Babble on to Behistun popped into it.

Digital Slugs + Lingo Metrics = ???????

I'll let it percolate for a bit.

BR

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/4)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register