Mobileread
The Clue of the Left-Handed Golf Club
#11  VydorScope 02-16-2020, 06:30 PM
I write with my right hand, use a right-handed mouse, hammer with my right hand, bowl left, golf (well mini) lefty, fight lefty and play tennis lefty.

So, eh, I guess I am just confused.

#12  meeera 02-16-2020, 07:47 PM
Quote Pulpmeister
A surprisingly large number of people are not completely right-handed or left handed.

I know because I am one of them. I am right-handed exclusively in everything except aforesaid golf, (and other two-handed stick-and-ball games such as cricket, baseball and also probably hockey, which I've never played.). Even in tennis, a certain ambiguity creeps in. I can't backhand with my right hand alone, I have to use both hands, and when I do its the same basic grip as a bat, or golf club.

I don't know what proportion of the populace shares this curious division of handedness, but I know I'm no orphan.
Mixed dominance or cross-dominance, sometimes called "crossed laterality" (and often confused with ambidexterity, but they're not the same) has a prevalence of about 1%. My kid is one of them - writes right-handed, but plays musical instruments and shoots pool lefty, and is left foot (for skateboarding) and left eye dominant. I think he fights ambi, but that might just be the years of training.

It is said to be correlated with ADHD, dyslexia, and synaesthesia.

#13  Uncle Robin 02-20-2020, 06:59 PM
I read once that the Biblical Hebrew expression for "left-handed" literally means something like "closed/impeded of the right hand", and that nicely sums up my sinistrality. My father is one of those crossed laterals (cool phrase, thanks Meeera!), writing and doing most two-handed activities left-handed, but several significant two-handed activities done right-handed.

As to the validity of handedness as a clue, iirc some sports like polo ONLY permit right-handed play, regardless of a person's dominant handedness. So using the presence of "handed" implements to determine a person's dominant handedness in a whodunit does indeed seem at least lazy, if not positively underhanded.

« First  « Prev   (2/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register