Mobileread
Glowlight 3 - OOBE Unable to Update
#11  Burktross 12-30-2020, 04:21 PM
Quote DNSB
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but an eInk screen can not be backlit. The display is opaque. What you are looking at is LEDs at the edge of the screen with the light being diffused across the screen by a light guide to even out the light. As you have noticed, this is not perfect.
No bad news to be had in good information. That's interesting to hear, I guess that explains why the light is so soft. Still looks a bit different than a clip-on booklight, to be sure.

#12  Burktross 12-31-2020, 12:36 AM
Quote Burktross
All in all though, I'm a big fan. I just hope it keeps working for as many years as my 2010
As a bit of an aside, it seems like my Nook has temporarily stopped working after one day, instead of the many years I had hoped for. After trying to put new sideloaded books on it, the USB mode refused to close-- even after ejecting through Windows and through Calibre. After forcing a reboot, my books were no longer recognizable and trying to delete and re-add them with Calibre or Windows Explorer merely froze the Glowlight 3 on USB mode again. I had to use Erase & Deregister to get my books back in working order.

Frankly, for as old as the Nook brand is, it really should have more stable software by now. This is a little silly.

#13  DNSB 12-31-2020, 01:50 PM
Quote Burktross
Frankly, for as old as the Nook brand is, it really should have more stable software by now. This is a little silly.
You are running into a rather common complaint about the Nook ereaders. The hardware is good but the software is crap.

#14  ZodWallop 01-02-2021, 02:47 AM
Quote Burktross
I spoke to B&N support and it really seems like the Glowlight 3 is the black sheep of the glowlight family... Any troubleshooting instructions they provided to me pertained to either the original Glowlight or the new Glowlight Plus, yet nothing was ever for the Glowlight 3-- least of all the firmware. They couldn't even tell me where to find the Glowlight 3's serial number!
They fumbled the release of the Glowlight 3. Though there is 8GB of storage onboard, at release, only 2.5GB was available for sideloaded content. A terrible idea and they got backlash immediately.

They released a firmware update that swapped partitions, so now the 3 has 5GB of storage for sideloading. But I believe that is where the bugs come from.

Quote Burktross
I have a Glowlight 3 and a 2015 Glowlight Plus and they run near-identical firmware (the 2015 Plus doesn't have color adjusting frontlight) and the Plus is very stable. The Plus also never had partitioned memory.

The 3 is buggy. Though I have had nowhere near the problems you've had.

I will say though that I am fond of my Nooks. I wish the firmware had some of Kobo's bells and whistles, but I do like the UI and reading on my Nooks is a pleasure.

#15  Ryzir 01-02-2021, 12:29 PM
Quote Burktross
As a bit of an aside, it seems like my Nook has temporarily stopped working after one day, instead of the many years I had hoped for. After trying to put new sideloaded books on it, the USB mode refused to close-- even after ejecting through Windows and through Calibre. After forcing a reboot, my books were no longer recognizable and trying to delete and re-add them with Calibre or Windows Explorer merely froze the Glowlight 3 on USB mode again. I had to use Erase & Deregister to get my books back in working order.

I had this happen to me a few times before I switched to Calibre Companion to manage my books. It seems the GL3 uses some sort of virtual partition for the sideloaded content that gets easily corrupted.

Calibre Companion puts the books on the regular partitions. The nook library software doesn't scan these partitions so they don't get added to that software but you can use CC to open the books in the nook reader software if you want. The books also are not accessible via usb since you can only see the virtual partition when connected via usb.

I had thought they fixed the corrupting issue with later updates but I had switched to CC before those updates so I guess maybe not?

« First  « Prev   (2/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register