Mobileread
Android 9.0 upgrade status?
#1  downeaster59 03-04-2020, 08:36 AM
Some time ago, we were told that Onyx plans to upgrade all its Android 6.0 devices to Android 9.0. Has anyone seen any news or updates recently about this? Any idea as to when this will happen - or if it will happen at all?

#2  Gibbo 03-04-2020, 08:50 AM
Nothing yet, but I don't think it'll happen ☹️

Keep an eye out here.

http://bbs.onyx-international.com/c/nova-series/16/l/latest

#3  menpe 03-04-2020, 10:24 AM
Well, some of us waited for the 4.0.4 --> stable 4.4 upgrade years ago from Onyx without any outcome so I'd say do not have high hopes.

#4  downeaster59 03-04-2020, 10:36 AM
I've had similar experiences with Onyx (and others), so my expectations are not high. However, I do not intend to buy a new device every time I want or need to upgrade my Android version! If Onyx actually did offer that 9.0 upgrade, it would be a big statement that they are serious about supporting their devices and their customers now. That's a big if, I grant you, but it would help!!!

#5  whopper 03-04-2020, 06:40 PM
onyx being onyx, you can forget about it, they always do the same

promise an upgrade
delay
delay
release new product
go silent about old upgrades

just read the people waiting for the promised android 6 on 4 devices, the max 1 owners, note, etc.

#6  hobnail 03-04-2020, 07:27 PM
I feel like blaming google. You can run Windows 10 on some very old machines with surprising low end specs. And each new version of Android hardly feels like a significant improvement to me.

#7  whopper 03-05-2020, 06:31 AM
Quote hobnail
I feel like blaming google. You can run Windows 10 on some very old machines with surprising low end specs. And each new version of Android hardly feels like a significant improvement to me.
No it's not google. I have at home a galaxy note 3, a phone from 2013 with android 4 that it now running an android 10 rom made by an enthusiast

any device can be upgraded, they simply don't want to, and they also don't release the kernel source code nor the bootloader, so people are stuck for ages even if anyone could try a new rom.

this is just a shameful behavior from onyx not google.

#8  Question Mark 03-05-2020, 09:44 AM
Although it would be nice to have an update taking some of the older devices up to Android 9, I am really more concerned that they continue to offer updates to fix bugs and increase functionality.

So far, they have been pretty good about doing this for the newer devices. My worry is that they will soon stop this abandoning their Android 6 devices the way they have abandoned their Android 4 devices such as the original Max of which I am an owner.

Now, what I would really love to see... an OTA update bringing eink colour to all their devices. I'm surprised they haven't already said that their R&D team is currently working on this and that such an update is impending.

#9  whopper 04-08-2020, 07:04 AM
yeah, april and 0 news.

#10  eReader fan 04-10-2020, 10:34 AM
Speaking with Onyx people they told me the Android 9 upgrade will appear with the 2.4 firmtupdate, so it will not be the 2.3 firmware version, which will arrive in a few weeks, but on the next

Next »  Last »  (1/11)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register