Mobileread
Boox Phone Reader?
#11  Question Mark 02-03-2020, 04:54 PM
Quote Philju
@Onyx:
If I were you I would consider just to skip the black/white e ink phone display shown at CES 2020 and to replace it by a color e ink display right from the start.

Since Hisense presented the first color e ink display at CES 2020 everybody is waiting for this technology to get rolled out. Therefore I assume that only very few people would still buy a smartphone with a black/white display at the moment.

By offering your new e ink phone with a color display you could not only catch up with your competitor Hisense but even outnumber them, because your products allow Google services.
Quite agree. A black and white eink phone will be a hard sell once a colour eink phones comes out. Unless, of course, the colour eink phones are ridiculously expensive or they perform comparatively poorly.

Quote Philju
Hisense however is still too stubborn to realize the significance of working Google services to achieve broad consumer acceptance.
Hisense did have Google Play on their dual screen A2 Pro. I have one and it works fine.

The A5 is aimed at the Chinese domestic market. As such, there isn't any particular need for Google services on it. It would only become advantageous if they were actively courting the international market.

#12  Philju 02-04-2020, 05:04 PM
Quote Question Mark
The A5 is aimed at the Chinese domestic market. As such, there isn't any particular need for Google services on it. It would only become advantageous if they were actively courting the international market.
You are right. Google services are even prohibited within China.

I just can't understand why Hisense doesn't offer its latest e-ink products to the western world (including Google services). It's so frustrating always just to wait until they might consider eventually to deliver those products to the rest of the world. Is Hisense so unmotivated to turn all the money down they could earn in those markets?

#13  mdp 03-08-2020, 09:16 PM
Quote Philju
If I were you I would consider just to skip the black/white e ink phone display shown at CES 2020 and to replace it by a color e ink display right from the start.

Since Hisense presented the first color e ink display at CES 2020 everybody is waiting for this technology to get rolled out. Therefore I assume that only very few people would still buy a smartphone with a black/white display at the moment.
Both rumors and evidence (refresh rate) show that the one presented by Hisense is not a new technology: it is a colour filter on top - à la Triton.

ACEP, I have seen in the E-Ink shop that 13.3'' displays are available - their refresh rate is apparently 25 seconds. Do not mix up ACEP and that "colour E-Ink phone".

If the E-Ink VB3300-EBA (I suppose that is) is overlaid with the filter, its 1280x720 may become a 640x360; its 284 DPI may become a 142 DPI. Is that enough?

That product must be seen in real life or adequate recordings, before calling it a win.

Quote Question Mark
Quite agree. A black and white eink phone will be a hard sell once a colour eink phones comes out. Unless, of course, the colour eink phones are ridiculously expensive or they perform comparatively poorly
...Or, as just written, unless they look bad.

#14  norweger 04-08-2020, 12:28 PM
Quote pinko
ohhhh yessss ������
Onyx previews its new E-Ink smartphone at CES 2020. It comes with a 5.8" E-Ink display, Android 9 and an octa-core ARM processor.

video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyBPpwcDJgQ&t=15s
article: https://notebookitalia.it/onyx-smartphone-e-ink-foto-video-anteprima-29252

very good: three mode with higher refresh rate and Play Store support
Looks like a great reading device. Quick and responsive!

I am pondering buying the Hisense as a reading device, but as the Onyx guy said "It'll be released in early 2020" in the video, "in a few months", I might just wait.

The video was recorded in January, before corona got pandemic. So as many companies have shut down their factories now, the info in the video could be outdated, but I checked with Onyx and got an upbeat reply that the phone ain't on the marked yet, but "check our Facebook for new notifications".

#15  norweger 07-16-2020, 10:02 AM
I got in touch, and they're saying the phone is coming "soon". Hopefully that means weeks, not months.

#16  Question Mark 07-16-2020, 10:23 AM
Quote norweger
I got in touch, and they're saying the phone is coming "soon". Hopefully that means weeks, not months.
That means it will be coming out just about the same time that they offer that long promised system update to bring all their Android 6 devices up to Android 9...

Actually, I'm quite happy with my Android 6 devices and by the fact that they are continuing to offer firmware updates for them. Wish they would do the same for their Android 4 devices.

However, I do hope that they come out with an eink phone soon. It would be interesting to see how it compares to the various Hisense eink models. It would be nice to see some competition in the eink phone market.

#17  norweger 07-16-2020, 01:19 PM
Lolz. I was hoping they were late wanting to give us a color display, surpassing that of Hisense. But alas, it's prolly the Android 9 that's holding them back. To my needs Android 6 is the most suitable, so ...

But yeah. New phones would be welcome. I think they're snappy fast compared to most e-readers, so I do want one.

#18  Question Mark 07-16-2020, 05:08 PM
Quote norweger
But yeah. New phones would be welcome. I think they're snappy fast compared to most e-readers, so I do want one.
My Hisense A5 is much snappier than either my Note Pro or Nova Pro. So much easier to select text to look up in a dictionary. Much more portable, too. My onyx devices are now mainly for PDFs or note taking/sketching.

As for my Kobo devices, I only turn them on a couple of times a year just to charge them to keep the batteries healthy.

I'm sorely tempted to get the Hisense A5 Pro Colour phone. Just waiting to see if anything else more tempting comes out on the market in the near future.

#19  cicabum 07-17-2020, 06:08 AM
Quote Question Mark
My Hisense A5 is much snappier than either my Note Pro or Nova Pro. So much easier to select text to look up in a dictionary. Much more portable, too. My onyx devices are now mainly for PDFs or note taking/sketching.

As for my Kobo devices, I only turn them on a couple of times a year just to charge them to keep the batteries healthy.

I'm sorely tempted to get the Hisense A5 Pro Colour phone. Just waiting to see if anything else more tempting comes out on the market in the near future.
Hello. Have you the Hisense A5 with or without Google play? does it work very good? Thank you

#20  Question Mark 07-17-2020, 09:40 AM
Quote cicabum
Hello. Have you the Hisense A5 with or without Google play? does it work very good? Thank you
Without Google Play Services. Was able to find the apps that I use on F-Droid and the Aurora store and easily sideloaded them onto the A5. It works brilliantly for my needs. I can even make phone calls or send texts on it which I seldom do.

Got it at the CECT Shop. Fantastic, professional service.

Avoid purchasing from Aliexpress as there is a disreputable seller there who pretends to ship the devices, but doesn't. One then has to go through the lengthy dispute process to get one's money back from Aliexpress.

It will be interesting to see if Onyx can make an eink phone to rival Hisense's devices. They've got their work cut out. Hope they can do it as it would be nice to see more innovation.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/5)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register