Mobileread
MacOS Catalina and Adobe Digital Editions
#1  dynabook 11-29-2020, 03:28 PM
I am not ready for Big Sur and I have put off upgrading to Catalina because it flags Adobe DE 2.0 as unsupported. My workflow is to download my ebooks with Adobe DE 2.0 and then remove DRM. I have hesitated to upgrade Adobe DE for fear of unbreakable (or unbroken) DRM.

Is there another way to download my ebooks with Adobe DRM (I typically get my ebooks from Google Play books as ePub) and still be able to remove it?

I think I need to upgrade to Catalina to stay somewhat current.
--MH

#2  JSWolf 11-29-2020, 03:33 PM
Quote dynabook
I am not ready for Big Sur and I have put off upgrading to Catalina because it flags Adobe DE 2.0 as unsupported. My workflow is to download my ebooks with Adobe DE 2.0 and then remove DRM. I have hesitated to upgrade Adobe DE for fear of unbreakable (or unbroken) DRM.

Is there another way to download my ebooks with Adobe DRM (I typically get my ebooks from Google Play books as ePub) and still be able to remove it?

--MH
You can try the latest version of ADE with Google Play Books and see if you can still remove the DRM.

#3  Carpman 11-29-2020, 05:02 PM
@dynabook, OSX Catalina is now no longer an option, Big Sur is the new kid on the block.

As long as you ensure your applications support 64bit and you update drivers for printers/scanners etc you should be fine.

I installed Big Sur today on my iMac and it does seems lightning fast compared to Mojave. I spent time yesterday ensuring my software and printer/scanner drivers were up todate.

You may find this of some help: https://www.stclairsoft.com/Go64/

Install and run it and it will show you which of your software etc is compatible for 64bit computing.

#4  odamizu 11-29-2020, 05:11 PM
I think the question here is whether DeDRM will work on current ADE 4.x and GooglePlay books on macOS Catalina or Big Sur. If I'm understanding correctly, dynabook would like confirmation of this before taking the plunge.

Also, it is still possible to upgrade to Catalina. Info from Apple: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211683

Direct link to Catalina installer: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/macos-catalina/id1466841314?ls=1&mt=12

#5  DNSB 11-29-2020, 10:17 PM
Quote dynabook

--MH
I've used ADE 4.5.11 on MAC OS and been able to remove DRM. This issue is that one day you'll run into a server that enforces Adobe's hardened DRM though I've only found one site that used it and it's a technical ebook site.

#6  dynabook 11-30-2020, 02:44 PM
I have the Catalina installer and an installation of Adobe DE 4. I have not used it because I was afraid that I would be locked out of my ebooks.

Thanks DNSB. I will try ADE 4.

--MH

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register