Mobileread
Big Sur on Intel Macs
#1  leebase 11-14-2020, 11:13 AM
I got my MacBook Pro 16" last spring and just installed Big Sur. I know...I said I'd wait, but I didn't.

Has anyone else noticed that their computer seems faster under Big Sur? Safari certainly is. But launching any app appears faster. The photos app seems to display the photos better than before.

I may be experiencing a placebo effect, but I really wasn't expecting anything like this.

#2  Strether 11-14-2020, 11:18 AM
The only thing I noticed was it broke my printer

Jim

#3  JSWolf 11-14-2020, 11:47 AM
Quote Strether

Jim
Your printer isn't broken. It still works exactly the same as it did before Big Sur. The driver may be broken and there may not be a compatible driver, but the printer itself is not broken.

#4  pdurrant 11-14-2020, 12:08 PM
Quote JSWolf
Your printer isn't broken. It still works exactly the same as it did before Big Sur. The driver may be broken and there may not be a compatible driver, but the printer itself is not broken.
Quibbler!

#5  leebase 11-14-2020, 12:11 PM
Quote Strether

Jim
Haven’t tried to print yet. I’ll let you know. How have you found the rest?

So far Office, outlook, slack...for me no problems

#6  gbm 11-14-2020, 12:32 PM
Quote leebase
Haven’t tried to print yet. I’ll let you know. How have you found the rest?

So far Office, outlook, slack...for me no problems
Before using big sur read this:

https://sneak.berlin/20201112/your-computer-isnt-yours/

bernie

#7  leebase 11-14-2020, 12:41 PM
Quote gbm
Before using big sur read this:

https://sneak.berlin/20201112/your-computer-isnt-yours/

bernie
I'll keep an eye on that controversy. I'm not swallowing it whole hog at this point. That would be quite a scandal for Apple's Security First marketing.

Apparently Little Snitch has put forward a Big Sur compatible version.

The makers of TripMode had a different take on what it going on. No mention of Apple logging all apps that run, but that Apple had exempted 56 of it's own apps and services from being filtered by application firewalls like Trip Mode.

One of the prime uses of Trip Mode was to block iCloud back ground traffic when you are on slow or expensive networks. Now their app can't provide that service.

In other less important news. No problem printing to my Brother laser printer.

#8  Strether 11-14-2020, 02:26 PM
Quote JSWolf
Jon, that takes literal-mindedness to a whole new level, even for you.

Jim

#9  pwalker8 11-14-2020, 11:24 PM
Quote leebase
I got my MacBook Pro 16" last spring and just installed Big Sur. I know...I said I'd wait, but I didn't.

Has anyone else noticed that their computer seems faster under Big Sur? Safari certainly is. But launching any app appears faster. The photos app seems to display the photos better than before.

I may be experiencing a placebo effect, but I really wasn't expecting anything like this.
Yea, my macbook pro does seem faster. My iMac seems faster as well.

#10  binaryhermit 11-15-2020, 11:11 PM
A large number of late 2013 and mid 2014 13-inch MacBook Pro owners are reporting that the macOS Big Sur update is bricking their machines.
https://www.macrumors.com/2020/11/15/macos-big-sur-update-bricking-some-macbook-pros/

Next »  Last »  (1/6)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register