Mobileread
Apple Announces November 10 Event
#1  OtinG 11-02-2020, 01:28 PM
According to MacRumors, Apple has announces a November 10 Event. Best guess it is to introduce the new Macs and/or Silicon Macs.

#2  tomsem 11-02-2020, 03:17 PM
https://www.apple.com/apple-events/

Given the One More Thing... theme, it seems like it will only involve a single product line. But I am hoping there’s a new AppleTV coming (e.g. the current ones do not support Spatial Audio). It would also be a good tie-in with HomePod mini, which is available Nov 16.

#3  Geosprouter 11-02-2020, 07:04 PM
and the new progressor chip.

#4  OtinG 11-02-2020, 07:15 PM
Since the event announcement does seem to imply one more thing, and since macOS 11 Big Sur has not yet been publicly released, my guess is this is going to be a Mac and Big Sur event. We might see the first Mac released with the new Apple processor. Big Sur was promised for a Fall release, so I think it will also be a part of this event.

#5  kyteflyer 11-03-2020, 06:02 PM
Its about time they did something with Mac, the quiet updates are not what we have come to expect from them over the years. Also I noticed last time I was in the Apple Store, that Macs have been relegated to the side and back bench. Only one table with a couple of macbook/airs, and the side bench with an iMac and Mini with a screen. They didnt even have a Pro on display. But, our store is fairly minor in the grand scheme, I guess others may have Mac stuff more prominently displayed. It seemed to me, though, that Apple Life is all about iphone and ipad.

#6  tomsem 11-04-2020, 03:14 PM
Mac sales are at all-time highs, e.g.:

https://www.imore.com/apple-says-macbook-pro-drove-its-record-mac-sales-2020

Maybe this is due to coronavirus (people working and learning at home), but I think the rollout of Apple Silicon macs over the next couple of years will keep momentum going.

#7  pwalker8 11-05-2020, 07:44 AM
Quote tomsem
Mac sales are at all-time highs, e.g.:

https://www.imore.com/apple-says-macbook-pro-drove-its-record-mac-sales-2020

Maybe this is due to coronavirus (people working and learning at home), but I think the rollout of Apple Silicon macs over the next couple of years will keep momentum going.
It's all about having the right tool for the job. It's a lot easier for me to type this on my mac that it would be on my iPad. I could do it on an iPad, and have, but using a mac is easier. It's easier to do things like spell check, to have multiple windows open at a time and a number of things.

#8  OtinG 11-06-2020, 12:05 PM
I definitely agree with the "right tool" for the job. I rarely try to type much via my iPhone XR because using that tiny keypad with big arthritic hands is VERY frustrating. Typing on my iPads is better because of larger keypads, but still extremely slow and riddled with typos because quite frankly Apple has never de-quirked how it works. Too many quirks, too many touchpad related issues with trying to make selections, copy, paste, make corrections, et cetera. And if I’m typing in a forum like this one, I can barely see the text! I much prefer and need a computer keyboard for large amounts of keyboard types of input. I also need a computer for power hungry apps and many other tasks. The iPhone and iPad both are better than a computer at some tasks, but the computer is still an irreplaceable item for me, even in retirement.

Having said that, I tend to replace iPhone and iPads 2 to 3 times more often than my Mac computers, mostly because the iPhones and iPads are much cheaper and can more affordably be replaced every 3 or 4 years, whereas I'n still using a 2012 Mac mini and a 2014 MacBook Pro! I have no clue what the profit margins amount too over a decade, but I suspect Apple makes more money off of my iPhone and iPad purchases over the course of a decade than they do over my Mac purchases over that same decade.

#9  pwalker8 11-06-2020, 07:36 PM
I'm sure Apple makes a lot more on the iPhone and iPad than they do the Mac series.

I have a 2018 MacBook Pro and a slightly older iMac and no plans to upgrade them anytime soon. It would be nice to have a larger internal drive on the iMac. I'm still considering getting a mac mini as a media server perhaps next year, but there really isn't a point to doing so until Drobo has inventory again.

Looks like they are going to release Big Sur next week since it's reported that the final release candidate was dropped today.

#10  OtinG 11-08-2020, 12:21 PM
Well I guess we will find out more on this coming Tuesday. Should be interesting. It will be a long time before I can afford a new Mac, but I’m still interested in what Apple has to offer...

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register