Mobileread
Other Non-Fiction Demosthenes: The Public Orations, v1, 20/2/16
#1  DavScoMur 02-20-2016, 10:54 AM
For all lovers of ancient literature--if there are any out there besides me!

Demosthenes was a Greek statesman and orator who lived 384-322 BCE. This edition of his speeches is a combination of three separate books: the bulk of it is taken from The Public Orations of Demosthenes, Vols. 1 and 2 (edited by Arthur Wallace Pickard). These two volumes contain the majority of Demosthenes' well-known speeches, with the exception of the Fourth Philippic. I have taken that from The Olynthiacs and Philippics of Demosthenes (translated by Charles Rann Kennedy). While Kennedy's translations are not nearly as elegant as Pickard's, I wanted to include all the speeches in one book.

Both translations are old and contain a lot of antiquated words and spellings; I have retained all of those with the exception of old-fashioned hyphenation ("to-day," for example).

There is another volume of Demosthene's speeches that I might add to this someday - that's if I get up the nerve to edit 400 pages of Internet Archive word salad.

As always, please let me know if you come across any errors. I hope you enjoy this.

#2  Jellby 02-21-2016, 10:49 AM
Unfortunately, the translator, Arthur Wallace Pickard-Cambridge, died in 1952. This means the book is not public domain in life+70 countries, and not appropriate for this site. Wait until 2023

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register