Mobileread
Attention: All eBookwise 1150 newbies!
#1  nrapallo 01-07-2009, 12:34 PM
EDIT: 26 Sep 2011 All links referred to by 'www.ebooktechnologies.com' can be replaced with 'www.ebooksystem.net' to view webpages that existed previous to eBook Technologies being acquired by Google.

If you have registered your eBookwise and perhaps already downloaded some commercial ebooks through www.ebookwise.com, www.fictionwise.com or www.filamentbooks.com/, then there is a world of freely-available .imp ebooks awaiting you here ...

And welcome to MobileRead.com (the .IMP way!)

General/Hardware Device
IMP software wiki
If you are just getting started, then check all the programs that handle/manipulate/convert the .imp format in our wiki i.e. IMP software@Wiki »

There are several ways to transfer .imp ebooks to the reader and most are listed in our Poll on the subject entitled: How do you get new content onto your eBookwise 1150 / REB 1200?
eBook Publisher
eBook Publisher@Wiki » from ETI (windows and mac) creates .imp ebooks but doesn't transfer them to the reader. The software also includes a .imp viewer (perfectly previews .imp ebooks on the computer) and Bulk Convert program (to convert many .doc/.rtf/.ppt/.oebff to .imp/.oebff)

Also available from ETI, is RB2Project that converts Rocket/REB1100 .rb ebooks to .imp/.oebff ebooks.
Impserve/Lit2b/Mobi2IMP/PDFRead
Be sure to install Impserve which primarily transfers .imp's to the reader and can be found here along with my impserve plugins and mini-tutorial. You may want to refer to the post, Easy setup instructions for converting certain files to .imp, about getting the secondary programs (Lit2sb, Mobi2IMP and PDFRead) quickly installed.
eBookwise/GEB Librarian

EDIT: Oct. 2010 - this software is no longer available for sale either by breeno.org or www.ebookwise.com. In it's place ETI has introduced http://my.ebooksystem.net/, a supplement to their Personal Content Server that can now deliver .imp ebooks directly to your Online Library for later download to your device from your computer. Thanks to lvd4 for this tip!

The eBookwise Librarian and the GEBLibrarian are the same software by the same developer; just sold differently. Some common issues:
Getting .IMP ebooks onto the reader
Have a look at our eBookwise Poll on this predicament . There are now many ways to accomplish this, namely:A good summary of these transfer methods can be found in this post How to get me converted books to my reader!!]
THE END

This will be a FAQ of sorts and will be updated to add member contributions and that future wiki link!

#2  zelda_pinwheel 01-07-2009, 12:39 PM
excellent idea, nick, i think there's definitely a need for a thread like this. i've stuck it so newbies can find it more easily.

another useful tip : if you register at filament books or ebookwise (links in the first post), you can use their automatic conversion service to send your own documents (format word, etc.) to your "personal content" bookshelf ; they will be converted into imp format and you can then download them to your device. nice for the days you're feeling too lazy to launch eBook Publisher just to read the latest work document...

another important bit of information for eb1150 not living in the US : you can buy an inexpensive universal power adapter to charge your eb1150. this thread has information about what to buy.

#3  DaleDe 01-07-2009, 12:43 PM
Quote zelda_pinwheel
excellent idea, nick, i think there's definitely a need for a thread like this. i've stuck it so newbies can find it more easily.

another useful tip : if you register at filament books or ebookwise (links in the first post), you can use their automatic conversion service to send your own documents (format word, etc.) to your "personal content" bookshelf ; they will be converted into imp format and you can then download them to your device. nice for the days you're feeling too lazy to launch eBook Publisher just to read the latest work document...
Not only that but if you buy IMP eBooks at fictionwise they can also show up on your bookshelf. Fictionwise owns both eBookwise and Filament books.

#4  nrapallo 03-28-2009, 01:32 AM
Turn the unit off. Then press and hold the page back button (bottom one) and while holding it turn the device on.

After the bookshelf gets rearranged, tap the top left menu (ebook guy) and then tap the Info icon. Tap the more icon (twice) and you should see the hidden menu. There is a refurbish icon that will wipe out any existing registration info. Do so now.

Afterwards, just power off and then power on again. Now under the Info icon you should see "Not registered yet" for User ID.

Now connect to your Online Bookshelf with your (new) ebookwise User ID.

This link explains this the Registration process more succinctly:

#5  jerryprism 11-23-2009, 02:16 PM
Does this tecnique work for RocktEbooks? ANd will it erase all the saved books in the memory?

#6  nrapallo 11-23-2009, 02:55 PM
Quote jerryprism
Does this tecnique work for RocktEbooks? ANd will it erase all the saved books in the memory?
No, this technique will work only for the EBW1150 and REB1200 devices (which have been migrated to the ETI servers).

It cannot work with the original Rocket eBook or REB1100 since these rely on the Gemstar servers for registration and those servers are "down" permanently with the demise of Gemstar (and Nuvomedia before that).

#7  Roger1322 12-04-2009, 03:32 PM
Now that I have Windows 7 I can no longer get eBookwise Librarian to convert books downloaded from Muncey's. I can't even get a response from Librarian support so I am going to switch to Nook - too bad, eBookwise has been my favorite for years.

#8  askyn 12-04-2009, 05:42 PM
Quote Roger1322
Now that I have Windows 7 I can no longer get eBookwise Librarian to convert books downloaded from Muncey's. I can't even get a response from Librarian support so I am going to switch to Nook - too bad, eBookwise has been my favorite for years.
Just wondering, as ive also upgraded to windows 7 and have no problems, did you re-enter your registration number into the librarian software?

If you dont, you only have a limited time frame for conversions etc, because it considers itself to be in demo mode till you do.

#9  Roger1322 12-11-2009, 12:16 PM
Quote askyn
Just wondering, as ive also upgraded to windows 7 and have no problems, did you re-enter your registration number into the librarian software?

If you dont, you only have a limited time frame for conversions etc, because it considers itself to be in demo mode till you do.

No, I didn't do that since it didn't ask but I will uninstall, reinstall and do that.
Thanks!

#10  Roger1322 12-11-2009, 12:29 PM
Nope, still doesn't work - about 3/4 the way through the conversion it fails. Any other ideas? Sure hate to give up eBookwise. Zero response from support so I figure I'm not the only one. Thanks.

Next »  Last »  (1/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register