Will Cuppy (humourist)
Lucien Descaves (French)
George Gurdjieff
Margaret Mitchell
Axel Munthe
Sigrid Undset (Norwegian)
E H Young (Emily Hilda)
Arthur Leo Zagat

And quite a few more who died in 1949...

#2  pwalker8 10-08-2019, 07:51 AM
Alas, Gone with the Wind doesn't hit PD in the US until 2031 (publication + 95).

#3  Calenorn 10-08-2019, 08:32 AM
Dunno about Bedford-Jones. There's a small publishing business selling his stuff at the moment. I think they've dealt with the family.

#4  Pulpmeister 10-08-2019, 10:21 PM
A lot of Bedford Jones, who began writing before WW1, is out of copyright in the US already, and all of it is definitely out of copyright in Australia, NZ and Canada.

I suspect that, as an English author publishing extensively in the US market (Argosy, Adventure, Weird Tales and so on), he is likely one of the many who didn't renew copyrights after 28 years.

Some of his work is up on Roy Glashan's Library, an Australian PD on-line library.

He was enormously prolific. Just poking around in Internet Archive for a couple of hours I was able to assemble three 100,000 word volumes of short stories and novelettes in no time at all. (All, I repeat, PD here in Oz).

One intriguing idea he had was the Sphinx Emerald, a series on longish short stories following the trail through history of a rare jewel, an emerald with an internal flaw, which when held at a certain angle, closely resembles the Sphinx. Each story is self-contained, and in a different era: from ancient Egypt, through Roman Empire and medieval times, into the 20th century. I made up an ebook of the many Sphinx stories, and come January I'll post it in the Patricia Clarke Library, along with the aforesaid three volumes of short fiction once I've removed all the perky hard returns. Then I can make up covers and so forth.

He also wrote numerous adventure novels, including "D'Artagnan", a novel in the universe of Dumas, and a long series involving John Solomon, a peripatetic businessman based in the middle east, who first appeared in 1914. The chubby little man, ostensibly running a ships' chandlers chain of businesses, gets involved in many adventures.

For USA readers, there are three works by Henry Bedford-Jones in Project Gutenberg, an historical novel set in Ireland During Cromwell's time; a western; and a detective novel. All naturally pre-1924.

#5  Calenorn 10-09-2019, 08:01 AM
Hello Pulpmeister,

All of what you say is true, yet I do not think it is safe to assume that everything written by HBJ will be public domain in the USA.

The publisher linked below has been adding HBJ titles even in recent months; I'm not sure they would have gone to all that effort if it was all about to tumble into the public domain.

At any rate, they are a fine small press; both their paper and ebooks are good quality.

https://steegerbooks.com/shop/the-sphinx-emerald/

As for Bedford-Jones himself, I've never been disappointed reading his stuff!

#6  issybird 10-09-2019, 09:03 AM
I think Sigrid Undset's Kristin Lavransdatter trilogy is wonderful, but there's an issue for those who don't read Norwegian. Obviously the recent translation will remain in copyright; the contemporary translation had two translators, one of whom, Arthur Clark, died in 1941, but I can't find the death date on the other, J.S. Scott.

#7  Dr. Drib 10-10-2019, 01:43 PM
Regarding H. Bedford-Jones, there's a Megapack available from Amazon, of around 600 pages, for 99 cents.

#8  Dr. Drib 10-10-2019, 01:49 PM
Quote Calenorn
Hello Pulpmeister,

All of what you say is true, yet I do not think it is safe to assume that everything written by HBJ will be public domain in the USA.

The publisher linked below has been adding HBJ titles even in recent months; I'm not sure they would have gone to all that effort if it was all about to tumble into the public domain.

At any rate, they are a fine small press; both their paper and ebooks are good quality.

https://steegerbooks.com/shop/the-sphinx-emerald/

As for Bedford-Jones himself, I've never been disappointed reading his stuff!

Altus Press [the Publisher] continues to do great work on their ebooks, as you note [Steeger Books is a store - perhaps the two entities are related?], especially on those Bedford-Jones.

A number of these Bedford-Jones stories, I see, are also available from Glashan's library [Austrailan PD] for those residents able to download the titles.

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register