Mobileread
Out of the Three New Readers we have gotten from B&N, Amazon and Kobo..
#1  Tony1988 09-21-2019, 11:42 AM
...I have to say The NOOK is the most appealing hardware. The form factor and size is the best, you get four page turn buttons etc ...sadly their software needs work for Library usage and a few other things. But I think they nailed it for hardware.

#2  John F 09-21-2019, 12:05 PM
I think I like the idea of the Forma and Oasis, buttons on only one side (as long as the screen can flip 180, and since I don't read in landscape).

That being said, I still prefer my Glo HD.

#3  Sirtel 09-21-2019, 12:18 PM
Quote Tony1988
...I have to say The NOOK is the most appealing hardware. The form factor and size is the best, you get four page turn buttons etc ...sadly their software needs work for Library usage and a few other things. But I think they nailed it for hardware.
I agree. If only the Nook software were even close to the Kindle or Kobo software, it would be a killer ereader. But as it is, it's still too lacking in many areas, even though they've improved stability in comparison to the previous model (Glowlight 3).

#4  JSWolf 09-21-2019, 12:20 PM
Quote Tony1988
The Kobo Forma with an 8" screen size is 6.3"x6.99"x0.33" at 197g. The waterproofing is 1PX8.

The nook Glowlight Plus with a 7.8" screen is 8.3"x5.9"x.34" at 279g. The waterproofing is IPX7.

The screen on the Forma is plastic backed and not glass as on the nook. So as far as the hardware goes, I'd go with Kobo. It's a slightly bigger screen (plastic backed), smaller (overall), and lighter. Plus, it has firmware that gets updated more often and (IMHO) is better then the nook. The Forma has buttons on one side because the screen can be rotated so it's good for right- or left-handed people

#5  Sirtel 09-21-2019, 12:24 PM
Quote JSWolf
Plus, it has firmware that gets updated more often and (IMHO) is better then the nook.
I don't think anyone would disagree that the Nook software is rather underwhelming.

#6  JSWolf 09-21-2019, 12:30 PM
Quote Sirtel
I don't think anyone would disagree that the Nook software is rather underwhelming.
I agree that the nook firmware is rather pathetic.

#7  Pajamaman 09-21-2019, 12:33 PM
I'm starting to think about a Nook again. Because of the light and screen.

Yes, the software is flaky, but I believe it is possible to install apps like Alreader, so it doesn't matter. Everything should be possible to do within alreader.
I don't care about the Nook buttons; Alreader allows the creen to work like buttons. I don't like the clunky size of the Nook.

But the Nook has an amazing screen. The comfort light is amazing. I ran Alreader in night-mode with the red light and it's the best I've seen. So much so, I'm considering getting another one (I bricked the last one by rooting it) I can't forget how good that screen and light are. And after all, it's the screen and light that are ultimately the most important thing on an ereader.

#8  JSWolf 09-21-2019, 12:37 PM
Quote Pajamaman
I'm starting to think about a Nook again. Because of the light and screen.

Yes, the software is flaky, but I believe it is possible to install apps like Alreader, so it doesn't matter. Everything should be possible to do within alreader.
I don't care about the Nook buttons; Alreader allows the creen to work like buttons. I don't like the clunky size of the Nook.

But the Nook has an amazing screen. The comfort light is amazing. I ran Alreader in night-mode with the red light and it's the best I've seen. So much so, I'm considering getting another one (I bricked the last one by rooting it) I can't forget how good that screen and light are. And after all, it's the screen and light that are ultimately the most important thing on an ereader.
The Kobo Forma has a better screen and ComfortLight PRO (adjustable color temperature). So why go with the nook when the firmware is weak? Kobo is much better supported.

#9  Tony1988 09-21-2019, 12:41 PM
Quote JSWolf
The Kobo Forma has a better screen and ComfortLight PRO (adjustable color temperature). So why go with the nook when the firmware is weak? Kobo is much better supported.

But what about when compared to the Baby Forma H20??(which is one of the three released this year) I find the comfort light on that a bit weak.

#10  Sirtel 09-21-2019, 12:42 PM
Quote Tony1988
But what about when compared to the Baby Forma H20??(which is one of the three released this year) I find the comfort light on that a bit weak.
In what way? Not orange enough?

Next »  Last »  (1/7)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register