Mobileread
New Mac Pro being released
#11  OtinG 06-03-2019, 08:54 PM
Quote pwalker8
That Mac Pro and Pro Display XDR sounds really neat, especially if you just won the lottery. I suspect it's mostly going to be used in very high end design and graphics shops.
I was curious how it compared to the 1983 Apple Lisa. Turns out Apple sold the Lisa for $9,995 in 1983, which in 2019 dollars is about $25,645. Supposedly they sold about 100,000 Lisas, although that seems hard to believe, especially since they considered it a huge failure.

BTW, my Apple II+ cost about $2,200 in 1981. That would be about $6,185 in today’s dollars.

#12  pwalker8 06-03-2019, 09:13 PM
Quote Dylrob
They said that syncing will be built into the Finder on Mac. Meanwhile iTunes will be sticking around on Windows.
Plus, of course, you can always use iCloud which seems to be the preferred Apple method.

#13  pwalker8 06-03-2019, 09:19 PM
Quote OtinG
I was curious how it compared to the 1983 Apple Lisa. Turns out Apple sold the Lisa for $9,995 in 1983, which in 2019 dollars is about $25,645. Supposedly they sold about 100,000 Lisas, although that seems hard to believe, especially since they considered it a huge failure.

BTW, my Apple II+ cost about $2,200 in 1981. That would be about $6,185 in today’s dollars.
If I recall correctly, my Apple IIe cost about the same in 1983. Yea, computers were expensive back then.

For a while, you had to have a Lisa to program on the Mac, so that may have inflated the numbers a bit.

#14  OtinG 06-03-2019, 09:34 PM
Quote pwalker8
If I recall correctly, my Apple IIe cost about the same in 1983. Yea, computers were expensive back then.

For a while, you had to have a Lisa to program on the Mac, so that may have inflated the numbers a bit.
Very expensive. At my work we looked into getting a 5 MB Winchester HDD for our PC in the early 1980s and it cost more than the computer had! So the bean counters said to keep using the two 5.25” floppies and forget about a HDD.

Rumor is that Apple buried 2,700 Lisas in a Logan, Utah landfill to get rid of them.

#15  tomsem 06-03-2019, 09:38 PM
mouse support too:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/3/18647071/apple-ipad-os-mouse-support-wwdc-2019

Wonder about track pads...

#16  OtinG 06-03-2019, 11:30 PM
Quote tomsem
mouse support too:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/3/18647071/apple-ipad-os-mouse-support-wwdc-2019

Wonder about track pads...
Looks like it is limited support, but at least that is a start. Better than no support at all.

#17  John F 06-04-2019, 06:58 AM
Quote pwalker8
Plus, of course, you can always use iCloud which seems to be the preferred Apple method.
Can you expand on this? Are you talking about on a Mac? Looking at iCloud on my PC, I don't see anything for uploading music.

I'm interested how it works/will work on a PC. My sister wants her CDs on her iPhone and she doesn't currently have a computer. I ripped the CDs for her, but Googling how to get them on her iPhone was a little more effort/complexity than I was expecting (iTunes with multiple libraries/accounts, or 3rd party apps.)

Thanks.

#18  Dylrob 06-04-2019, 07:32 AM
Quote pwalker8
Well unless they’ve changed something in iOS 13, you unfortunately cannot import files into built-in music, video, or podcast apps from iCloud, nor set custom ringtones from it. (You can play files from iCloud, but it won’t remember where you left off)

#19  pwalker8 06-04-2019, 09:02 AM
Quote Dylrob
Well unless they’ve changed something in iOS 13, you unfortunately cannot import files into built-in music, video, or podcast apps from iCloud, nor set custom ringtones from it. (You can play files from iCloud, but it won’t remember where you left off)
On the mac, when you turn Music support on with iCloud, the mp3 is automatically uploaded to iCloud. On the music app on the iPhone and iPad, if you turn Music support on, then it automatically uses the music in iCloud. If you want the file locally on the phone, you have to download it.

Now it may be that iTunes on the Windows device doesn't support Music, or perhaps you didn't turn Music on.

Right now, the only audiobooks that are uploaded to iCloud is Apple audiobooks.

#20  Dylrob 06-04-2019, 09:17 AM
Quote pwalker8
On the mac, when you turn Music support on with iCloud, the mp3 is automatically uploaded to iCloud. On the music app on the iPhone and iPad, if you turn Music support on, then it automatically uses the music in iCloud. If you want the file locally on the phone, you have to download it.

Now it may be that iTunes on the Windows device doesn't support Music, or perhaps you didn't turn Music on.

Right now, the only audiobooks that are uploaded to iCloud is Apple audiobooks.
Honestly the biggest concern for me is the ringtones. I hate that Apple charges the same amount for a 30 audio clip as they do for the entire song, even when you already own said song! Plus I like to control what part of a song is actually used, and have a bunch of non-music tones as well.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/4)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register