Mobileread
Harlequin to stop providing ebook downloads from 12th November 2018
#21  Hemmi 10-30-2018, 02:55 PM
I wonder if it would be possible to grab the EPUB from the app, stick it in Dropbox, and then be able to get it out on another device. I've done that before with a couple of app exclusive ebooks from another publisher. Will have to test that out after they make the change. The app has to be able to at least temporarily download the ebook for offline reading.

#22  AnemicOak 10-30-2018, 03:03 PM
Quote Hemmi
I wonder if it would be possible to grab the EPUB from the app, stick it in Dropbox, and then be able to get it out on another device. I've done that before with a couple of app exclusive ebooks from another publisher. Will have to test that out after they make the change. The app has to be able to at least temporarily download the ebook for offline reading.
Definitely something to check once the switch is made.

#23  library addict 10-30-2018, 03:25 PM
Quote PurpleStar
I assume I’d still be able to buy them from Kobo hopefully.
I sent an email earlier, but still waiting to hear back. So while it may seem silly, I verified this with the chat option. They said, yes, books would still be available from Kobo, Google Play, and BAM.*

*Those were the only stores I mentioned, so they may also be available elsewhere.

It's interesting that there is no mention of this on the Mills & Boon site. So will this be US only or are we just first?

#24  PurpleStar 10-30-2018, 03:38 PM
Quote library addict
I sent an email earlier, but still waiting to hear back. So while it may seem silly, I verified this with the chat option. They said, yes, books would still be available from Kobo, Google Play, and BAM.*

*Those were the only stores I mentioned, so they may also be available elsewhere.

It's interesting that there is no mention of this on the Mills & Boon site. So will this be US only or are we just first?
Good to know as I only buy them from the Kobo store. The ones from the Harlequin site are just the freebies which I haven't been able to get lately anyways since you can only earn points from buying books now.

#25  AnemicOak 10-30-2018, 03:41 PM
Quote library addict
Hard to say. Mills & Boon uses LibreDigital, not OverDrive, so...

#26  Ripplinger 10-30-2018, 05:09 PM
So does that mean if you do not have an internet connection, you can't read your books purchased from Harlequin? The new system works only if online even when using their app?

I'm glad I don't read romance nor do I buy from Harlequin, but that sure would drive me away from them permanently if I did.

#27  pdurrant 10-30-2018, 05:19 PM
Quote Ripplinger
So does that mean if you do not have an internet connection, you can't read your books purchased from Harlequin? The new system works only if online even when using their app?
The do specifically mention that off-line reading is possible with the app.

#28  Fbone 10-30-2018, 05:44 PM
Simon & Schuster uses Glose for their ebook fulfillment.

Harper Collins used Bookshout in the past for theirs.

#29  johnnyb 10-31-2018, 06:45 AM
Quote pdurrant
The answer I just got back by email is:

"Hi there, after we transition it will no longer be possible to download ebooks using ADE. If you wish to have a physical copy of your ebooks please download them all to ADE before November 12. If you do not download them, you will still always have access to your books through the Harlequin Bookshelf and new app (requires internet connection), however, you can do offline reading as well. Thanks!

--

SM from Harlequin.com"
Love how they are calling a digital file container a “physical copy”? Looks like the digital age is just too much for some of the digital content providers...

#30  Blossom 10-31-2018, 10:07 AM
This is a sad day indeed. I knew when Harpercollins bought Harlequin it could be their doom. I see more and more decline closing of lines and now this. They did not give up enough advance notice for those who have hundreds of books there. If you excessively use your account you can get locked out and have to email customer support to regain access which can take days especially on weekends.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (3/6)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register