Mobileread
Best way for a non-techie to get LibreOffice to make an epub?
#1  Gregg Bell 02-25-2017, 06:00 PM
I've got LibreOffice 5.1.6.2 and I just want to be able to make an epub from what I'm doing in LibreOffice (which would normally save as .odt). Years ago I had the that green "E" Writer2Epub logo in my LibreOffice toolbar but now I don't have it (I have Linux Xubuntu Operating System) and I can't remember how I got it (if indeed that's the best way to go). Thanks.

#2  dwig 02-25-2017, 06:23 PM
There is the Writer2xhtml extension. I have it installed, but haven't needed to use it.

#3  arjaybe 02-25-2017, 07:41 PM
I use W2E and then tweak it with Calibre. You can get the W2E extension here:

http://writer2epub.it/en/

#4  Gregg Bell 02-26-2017, 03:00 AM
Quote dwig
There is the Writer2xhtml extension. I have it installed, but haven't needed to use it.
Thanks dwig.

#5  Gregg Bell 02-26-2017, 03:01 AM
Quote arjaybe
I use W2E and then tweak it with Calibre. You can get the W2E extension here:

http://writer2epub.it/en/
Thanks RJB. I'm pretty sure that's what I had before. What sort of tweaking do you need to do in Calibre?

#6  eBookLuke 02-26-2017, 03:08 AM
Hi Gregg,
the green icon in the toolbar is just like all other toolbar, so you can close it.
To reopen, try:

View>Toolbars>Writer2ePub

Luke

#7  arjaybe 02-26-2017, 02:11 PM
Quote Gregg Bell
Thanks RJB. I'm pretty sure that's what I had before. What sort of tweaking do you need to do in Calibre?
Not much. Edit metadata, including adding a cover. Edit book, where I run a check and do Tools - remove unused CSS rules. Then I convert the book, epub to epub, where I usually have to check the box to remove spaces between paragraphs. In all these cases, you might have to experiment until you find what gives you the best results.

#8  Gregg Bell 02-26-2017, 05:48 PM
Quote eBookLuke
Hi Gregg,
the green icon in the toolbar is just like all other toolbar, so you can close it.
To reopen, try:

View>Toolbars>Writer2ePub

Luke
Thanks Luke. I installed it but I keep running into this error message when I try to convert an .odt to an .epub. I googled around but couldn't quite figure out what the error meant and how to rectify it.
Selection_080.png 

#9  Gregg Bell 02-26-2017, 05:51 PM
Quote arjaybe
Not much. Edit metadata, including adding a cover. Edit book, where I run a check and do Tools - remove unused CSS rules. Then I convert the book, epub to epub, where I usually have to check the box to remove spaces between paragraphs. In all these cases, you might have to experiment until you find what gives you the best results.
Thanks man. I'm a Sigil guy for my novels but I thought this Writer2Epub might be an easy way to turn a short story (in .odt) into an .epub. Sounds like you've got a solid process.

#10  eBookLuke 02-26-2017, 07:15 PM
Quote Gregg Bell
Thanks Luke. I installed it but I keep running into this error message when I try to convert an .odt to an .epub. I googled around but couldn't quite figure out what the error meant and how to rectify it.
This message usually happens when Draw is not installed. Are you sure that you have installed the full *Office package?

Luke

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register