Mobileread
Color JetBook Color 2 Review
#1  joblack 03-17-2013, 01:44 PM
There is a first review of the JetBook Color 2. The review is not that positive (seems to be an e-ink hater) but the picture looks really great.

http://www.the-digital-reader.com/2013/03/16/the-jetbook-color-2-shows-why-color-e-ink-screens-are-a-dead-end/#.UUXybVe2W-d

http://www.the-digital-reader.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/jetbook-color-new-2.jpg

#2  Nate the great 03-17-2013, 02:16 PM
I don't hate E-ink. I only hate color E-ink because it will never live up to its claims.

#3  rkomar 03-18-2013, 02:00 AM
Quote Nate the great
I don't hate E-ink. I only hate color E-ink because it will never live up to its claims.
I agree that colour E-ink has fundamental problems and I also can't see how it would ever really work well as is. However, I don't remember any claims. Was that something that came up at trade shows?

#4  joblack 03-18-2013, 06:39 AM
Quote Nate the great
Well, as you haven't published my comment. Is the screen non-glare?

I do own a JetBook Color 1 (and several other E-Ink devices like the Kindle Paperwhite) and I think the device is great. Do you know that newspaper paper isn't white either?

You do certainly have the right to your own opinion but I think to rate a device down because it has not Paperwhite white, which by the way is fake because of the active sidelight, is at least a little bit unfair.

#5  Nate the great 03-18-2013, 08:45 AM
Quote joblack
Well, as you haven't published my comment. Is the screen non-glare?

I do own a JetBook Color 1 (and several other E-Ink devices like the Kindle Paperwhite) and I think the device is great. Do you know that newspaper paper isn't white either?

You do certainly have the right to your own opinion but I think to rate a device down because it has not Paperwhite white, which by the way is fake because of the active sidelight, is at least a little bit unfair.
Sorry, but I think your comment may have gotten eaten by the spam filter. I certainly didn't do anything to it.

The claim that E-ink makes is that their color screen can display 4096 colors. That's not true. This screen cannot display anything even close to white or an off-white color.

#6  ST-One 03-18-2013, 11:18 AM
Quote joblack
But it isn't as dark-grey as the screen of the JetBook Color 1.

#7  joblack 03-18-2013, 02:20 PM
Quote Nate the great
The claim that E-ink makes is that their color screen can display 4096 colors. That's not true. This screen cannot display anything even close to white or an off-white color.
Of course it's true. It's a 16 x 16 x 16 matrix (and reminds me little bit about my good old Commodore Amiga in HAM graphics mode with 4096 colors).

E.g. even with a very good tablet (like the Nexus 10) it's not possible to display real black but I don't see you complaining about the black color problem with LCD displays? So it's not a necessity to be able to display specific colors. Most display colors are an approximation, anyways.

Well it's obvious you don't like color e-ink displays. But back to the topic - is the display non-glare?

#8  joblack 03-18-2013, 02:27 PM
Quote ST-One
But it isn't as dark-grey as the screen of the JetBook Color 1.
That's a good question, I don't know about that.

I have a patched Kindle Paperwhite where I can disable the sidelights. If you do that it looks certainly more greyish than before. If I have the time I can put both devices on the table and take a photo.

#9  Nate the great 03-18-2013, 09:46 PM
Quote joblack
Of course it's true. It's a 16 x 16 x 16 matrix (and reminds me little bit about my good old Commodore Amiga in HAM graphics mode with 4096 colors).

E.g. even with a very good tablet (like the Nexus 10) it's not possible to display real black but I don't see you complaining about the black color problem with LCD displays? So it's not a necessity to be able to display specific colors. Most display colors are an approximation, anyways.

Well it's obvious you don't like color e-ink displays. But back to the topic - is the display non-glare?
That 16x16x16 matrix is fiction. Just because the software will let you set a hex color code doesn't mean that the screen is capable of producing that color.

I cannot see #0f0f0f on this screen, nor anything close to it. So at least one of those 4096 colors can't be reproduced and this the claim of 4096 colors is a myth.

#10  rkomar 03-19-2013, 02:35 AM
Quote Nate the great
That 16x16x16 matrix is fiction. Just because the software will let you set a hex color code doesn't mean that the screen is capable of producing that color.

I cannot see #0f0f0f on this screen, nor anything close to it. So at least one of those 4096 colors can't be reproduced and this the claim of 4096 colors is a myth.
I'm not sure I understand. There are only 16 values per component, so you would likely only be able to set each RGB component to 0x00, 0x10, 0x20, ... ,0xf0, or perhaps 0x00, 0x11, 0x22, ... , 0xff. Not being able to set it to 0x0f isn't making the claim false. You'd only expect to be able to do that if 256 values per component were technically possible. Or did you mean something else?

Next »  Last »  (1/7)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register