Mobileread
du Maurier, George? Or Maurier, George du?
#1  AlexBell 07-20-2019, 02:33 AM
In a week or so I expect to upload a book by George du Maurier to the MobileRead library.

Should I enter the author's name as du Maurier, George; or as Maurier, George du?

If the answer is in the wiki then please accept my apologies, and point it out to me. If the answer is not in the wiki could it be put there?

#2  lumpynose 07-20-2019, 02:48 AM
Quote AlexBell
In a week or so I expect to upload an book by George du Maurier to the MobileRead library.

Should I enter the author's name as du Maurier, George; or as Maurier, George du?

If the answer is in the wiki then please accept my apologies, and point it out to me. If the answer is not in the wiki could it be put there?
I'm no expert in this but I think it should be sorted under Maurier but know that the du is part of the last name. Which doesn't really answer your question. I'm guessing that the Dutch names with van and German names with von are similar so maybe you could do a google search on "names with van, von, and du" (and maybe de la for Spanish) and see what they say about them.

#3  Jellby 07-20-2019, 07:08 AM
I'd prefer "Maurier, George du", but it doesn't really matter because the guidelines are not being enforced and they've been broken too many times.

ETA: We already have a couple of "Du Maurier, George".

#4  dwig 07-20-2019, 01:25 PM
Project Gutenberg uses "Du Maurier, George" and Wikipedia consistently uses "du Maurier" when not including his first name. I use "du Maurier, George" for the author_sort in calibre.

#5  Jellby 07-22-2019, 04:31 AM
Quote dwig
and Wikipedia consistently uses "du Maurier" when not including his first name.
At least in Spanish, one thing is the sorting order (Maurier, George du), and a different one is how to use the surname alone (Du Maurier). Of course, that doesn't necessarily apply to other languages/traditions.

#6  GrannyGrump 07-22-2019, 05:34 AM
Personally, I would enter the thread title as du Maurier, George: blah blah blah

disclaimer: This is my personal preference, I don't know if it is good advice or not...
I would prefer this because that will affect where the name will appear in the Ebook Index (the master book list), and I do believe people would search for Du Maurier rather than for Maurier. Well, anyway, folks who have a similar mindset to my own.

Am I the only one who uses the Ebook Index to search for titles or authors?

#7  AlexBell 07-22-2019, 06:36 AM
Quote Jellby
I'd prefer "Maurier, George du", but it doesn't really matter because the guidelines are not being enforced and they've been broken too many times.

ETA: We already have a couple of "Du Maurier, George".
When I searched the book list, before I started work on Peter Ibbetson, I searched for du Maurier, and couldn't find any books by du Maurier. I searched for Du Maurier tonight and found The Martian. Could you tell me please what the other book was that you found, Jellby? And could you tell me where I can find the guidelines you mention?

For what it is worth the State Library system in Tasmania sorts books by Daphne du Maurier as Maurier, Daphne du. They don't have any books by George du Maurier.

#8  lumpynose 07-22-2019, 04:23 PM
Just for the sake of stirring the pot and perhaps adding to the confusion, sometimes these last name prefixes get joined to the last name and become part of it. E.g., Vanderbilt. When I did the google search I suggested above a wikipedia page had examples and one of the items in its list was Dupont, so apparently originally it was du Pont.

#9  Tarana 07-22-2019, 06:41 PM
Old school alphabetizing considered articles in names to be separate words. Thus, Daphne du Maurier would be alphabetized Maurier, Daphne du. This is the style taken by Calibre. The new alphabetizing scheme that seemed to become commonly accepted in this century is to consider the article part of the name, so it is not separated in alphabetizing. Thus, du Maurier, Daphne would be correct. So, neither is wrong, just pick what pattern you want and stick with it. That means all those vons are in V now. Just remember though, that most established places, like libraries, are probably going to stick with the old school forever.

Note: took a couple of courses on library science way back when, so it was of interest to me.

#10  GrannyGrump 07-22-2019, 10:25 PM
And I must rant: What. Is. The. Deal? --- the preference for First Name sorting? Several sites I visit use this *horrible* option as default. Grrrrr!

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register