Mobileread
weird read only bug - amazon fire tablet
#1  stumped 06-29-2019, 04:27 AM
tried to use CC to content server today. got a message saysing cannot connect because the folowing [ long list of formats I do not use] are in a read only folder...

so thinking it through.
the one recent change I made was to add an actual SD card to tis tablet, and allow Fire OS to reoganise by agreeing to all default suggestions.
IN CC, the only format in use was EPUB, all the other formats were set to go to default folder but I had not downloaded any AZW, PDF....

I checked, and my epub books had remained in storage emulated 0 ... i.e. in internal memory but maybe the CC app got partially or wholly remove to the card and so its permissions were affected ?
so I fixed it by changing the default folder to actually be a folder on the card, for all formats, in CC preferences. I was warned by CC that all existing books would be moved but actually it moved none (because they were read only to the app?)
so it then dowenlaoded a new epub to the new location ok but other books were still in the old location.

so I ended up deleting them all and will re-download them to card. i only keep a handful of books on tablets, not my entire library , so it's not a huge deal, but I would appreciate feedback on what I did "wrong" to cause this.

Its not the usual scenario of creating a folder on SD card that app could not control, rather it seems to be the opposite: somehow the app lost write permissions to the folder it was previously using OK in internal storage.

just as a reminder, when you add a card to a fire OS device you don't get the choice of adopted vs removable storage, - it offers to move what it can to the new card, which I agreed to , and I think it changes the download location for new amazon content to be on the card. so this device now as 32Gb internal and 32Gb on card

CC version 5.4.4.1 (392)

#2  chaley 06-29-2019, 06:50 AM
Quote stumped
Its not the usual scenario of creating a folder on SD card that app could not control, rather it seems to be the opposite: somehow the app lost write permissions to the folder it was previously using OK in internal storage.
It is exactly this. When you change, format, or (sometimes) reinstall SD cards; reinstall CC; or (sometimes) upgrade Android, the system invalidates previously granted permissions. The fix in CC is to "move" the folder to the same location. CC will reacquire permissions then move nothing because it sees that the source and destination are the same.

Note: you can uncheck all the formats you don't actually use. This has the side benefit of improving connection performance, sometimes by a lot.

#3  stumped 06-29-2019, 08:09 AM
Quote chaley
It is exactly this. When you change, format, or (sometimes) reinstall SD cards; reinstall CC; or (sometimes) upgrade Android, the system invalidates previously granted permissions. The fix in CC is to "move" the folder to the same location. CC will reacquire permissions then move nothing because it sees that the source and destination are the same.

Note: you can uncheck all the formats you don't actually use. This has the side benefit of improving connection performance, sometimes by a lot.
thanks- I am pretty sure other formats are unticked, but it complained anyway? it complained at the connect to content server step, before letting me see a list of books. ( I know that given a choice, it will default to getting an epub which is what I want it to do, but there is maybe another list somewhere with epub at the top

I never thought of changing old folder to new one in same location either, but it's better to have then on the actual card ( because of the weird way that folder search in moon+ replaces /emulated/0 with /sdcard/

#4  Barbara1955 06-29-2019, 11:19 AM
I got a e-mail the other day Amazon is No Longer supporting CC

#5  stumped 06-29-2019, 11:36 AM
strange - I own an amazon store version ( as well as a google store version ) and I have not received anything.[ i bought it years ago from amazon with free amazon coins before switching to shop with google instead, but amazon, google are both capable of dropping support for stuff with little warning and no redress - just because they can? )

& it is still there in the amazon store (UK)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/MultiPie-Ltd-Calibre-Companion/dp/B009OD5I88/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=calibre+companion&qid=15618186 79&s=gateway&sr=8-1

could you kindly post that email text

#6  chaley 06-29-2019, 11:53 AM
Amazon isn't taking CC out of the app store. Instead they are removing the ability for all apps to access their cloud storage. See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=320947.

#7  Barbara1955 06-29-2019, 12:00 PM
So without that ability to dl from the amazon cloud. It is Useless.

Seems another way Amazon is Trying to control their customers...

You Knew this as of 4 days ago & still cant figure out that why you having problems

#8  chaley 06-29-2019, 12:09 PM
Quote Barbara1955
Their announcement means that CC's Amazon Cloud Connection will stop working. For the moment the cloud providers (Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive, and Box) still work. OneDrive, Box, and Google still have free plans. Note that Google Drive can mess up a calibre library so we don't recommend its use as calibre primary storage.

EDIT: If your comment is about the business reasoning behind Amazon's move then I agree with you. They are pushing away anyone who uses mobile apps to access the storage. These people will go elsewhere, so Bye Bye Amazon.
Aren't walled gardens lovely?

#9  stumped 06-29-2019, 12:10 PM
Quote Barbara1955

I agree

If you have video or music files in Amazon drive you now cannot play them, unless they happen to work with Amazon's own players.
I just tried a .Avi file I had in there, the video froze as Amazon's onboard player can't do .Avi. then I tried an MP3, asked for open with... And got something went wrong....

So for me now, it just becomes a backup store for family photos.

Thinking it through some more, there will be no way to view documents ,spreadsheets etc in your Amazon drive, on your device, as they also need 3rd party apps. You would have to export them. Thn open a local copy, then edit and then put it back...who is going to want to bother with that.

It's a big win for Google cloud office solutions. Google will attract costumers from Amazon drive and from Dropbox with their 3 devices limit

I can't see how this can possibly help them sell cloud storage. Maybe they plan to exist the retail cloud storage market and only deal with big companies who will pay lots for lots of?

#10  Barbara1955 06-29-2019, 12:40 PM
Stump Try the CC on another Tablet. Not the Fire.

Chaley Prison Walls have gardens too yes I think is sucks Amazon & what the do to long time customers

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register