Mobileread
I need a moderator's ruling please
#1  AlexBell 05-28-2019, 08:02 PM
I've recently started work on preparing The Well of Loneliness by Radclyffe Hall, intending eventually to upload it to the MobileRead Library.

She died in in 1943, so it meets the Death plus 70 requirement. But according to Wikipedia:

'The copyright protection for The Well of Loneliness expired in the European Union on 1 January 2014. Because of the URAA, copyright protection in the United States will continue until at least 2024.'

Does this mean that I should not upload it to the MobileRead Library, and if I do it will be removed?

Now that I've written the post the answer seems obvious, but I want to make sure.

#2  Mikou 05-28-2019, 09:24 PM
I'm not a moderator, but I was curious about the answer. On the MR posting guidelines for the ebook library, it says:
EBooks uploaded to this site must be in the "life+70" public domain, or licensed under a compatible Creative Commons license. This means that the author (or translator) of the book must have died at least 70 years before the start of the current year. It is up to the individual to determine whether any particular eBook on MobileRead is legal to download in their country.
Based on that, it sounds like you are fine to post.

#3  lumpynose 05-29-2019, 12:16 AM
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:URAA-restored_copyrights

#4  Jellby 05-29-2019, 02:45 PM
MR rules are based on European copyright (life+70), it doesn't matter what the US (or Australian) copyright is.

Moderator Notice
It is safe for you (as far as MR is concerned) to upload any work that falls under the life+70 rule. Just note that it must cover all creators of the work (author, illustrator, translator, annotator, etc.)

#5  AlexBell 05-30-2019, 12:43 AM
Thanks to you all. That wasn't the answer I expected, Jellby, and I'm really pleased to be enlightened.

It will take me a while to finish The Well of Loneliness, but I'll upload it as soon as I can.

#6  lumpynose 05-30-2019, 03:16 PM
Quote AlexBell
Thanks to you all. That wasn't the answer I expected, Jellby, and I'm really pleased to be enlightened.
Same here.

I did a tracert on my PC and mobilread is hosted on hetzner.com. On their web page their phone number is +49 9831 505 0. I have no idea what country that it is but it ain't the USA.

Also, the notice on these pages says the death date must be before 1945; is that correct? That would be 74 years.

#7  Abzeronow 05-30-2019, 10:23 PM
Quote lumpynose
Also, the notice on these pages says the death date must be before 1945; is that correct? That would be 74 years.
That's an old notice. Death date has to be before 1949. Works by authors who died in 1948 just became allowed in Mobileread this year.

#8  Doitsu 05-31-2019, 04:35 AM
Quote lumpynose
I did a tracert on my PC and mobilread is hosted on hetzner.com. On their web page their phone number is +49 9831 505 0.
AFAIK, MobileRead is a Swiss company and mobileread.com is hosted by Hetzner, a German Internet hosting company (+49 is the country code for Germany).

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register