Mobileread
There's a new Basic Kindle (2019)
#51  DrNefario 03-26-2019, 12:18 PM
I don't particularly care about the resolution, myself. As long as I can read the text. And I'd prefer not to have the frontlight at all. I think the light will be the death of eInk. It looks no different to LCD, with a light.

I'm contemplating buying an older basic kindle while I still can. Then again, I could just get a new battery for my really old kindle keyboard. Or, more sensibly, just forget about it until my paperwhite starts to fail.

#52  issybird 03-26-2019, 01:14 PM
Quote DrNefario
I don't particularly care about the resolution, myself. As long as I can read the text. And I'd prefer not to have the frontlight at all. I think the light will be the death of eInk. It looks no different to LCD, with a light.

I'm contemplating buying an older basic kindle while I still can. Then again, I could just get a new battery for my really old kindle keyboard. Or, more sensibly, just forget about it until my paperwhite starts to fail.
I think 167 ppi is entirely inadequate, especially when there are cheapish 300 ppi options. I still haul out my 167 ppi Kobo Mini as my beach reader, but that's mostly because the OEM cover provides a lot of protection as it gets tossed around in my beach bag and because I wouldn't be heartbroken if something happened to it. But it really does need broad daylight to be legible and I can't even imagine how murky 167 ppi becomes with a light layer. The Kobo Glo with 212 ppi was my first lit reader and I thought that was irritatingly fuzzy.

#53  barryem 03-26-2019, 07:55 PM
Quote DrNefario
It's pretty hard to confuse e-ink with a front light with LCD with a backlight. Might as well say cars shouldn't have headlights because you'll confuse them with the sun.

LCD is transparent with a light behind the screen shining through it into your eyes. E-ink screens are opaque and you see reflected light, much the same as you do reading paper with a lamp over your shoulder. It's entirely possible to read on either but they're far from the same experience.

Barry

« First  « Prev   (6/6)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register