Mobileread
There's a new Basic Kindle (2019)
#11  Catlady 03-20-2019, 02:53 PM
If you trade in an older model, you can get 25 percent off, plus a gift card. For my old Paperwhite, the gift card amount is $25. So, were I to do a trade-in, the price would end up effectively being $42.50--which includes $30 for KU.

#12  issybird 03-20-2019, 03:09 PM
Quote ZodWallop
You make the assumption that the Basic Kindle will never have a recurring sale price, which of course it will.

$89 vs. $129 isn't bad. And when it's eventually recurring sale $59 vs. recurring sale $99, that won't be bad either.
You make the assumption that I made that assumption. Any chump knows that it will go on sale. But right now it's a no sale, when you know that if you wait you can get a PW4 for a minimal amount more. I really, really can't imagine these are going to fly out the door at this price and that was my point.

#13  ZodWallop 03-20-2019, 03:54 PM
Quote issybird
You make the assumption that I made that assumption. Any chump knows that it will go on sale.
Yet you and everyone else compared the short-lived full price with the Paperwhite's sale price. My assumption was made on the facts available at the time and still seems reasonable to me.

But right now it's a no sale, when you know that if you wait you can get a PW4 for a minimal amount more. I really, really can't imagine these are going to fly out the door at this price and that was my point.
Do the basic Kindles ever fly out the door?

The new Basic Kindle is slightly more appealing than the older basic Kindle. What else would you expect?

#14  Josieb1 03-20-2019, 04:41 PM
Quote murraypaul
It is a bit more tempting in the UK, at £70 vs £120.
I think the 'usual' Paperwhite sale price is £100, so that is still 30% off.
I've been toying with getting a Kindle just for reading KU, and having the lowest priced lit reader drop from 120 to 70 certainly makes that more plausible.
I bought my Paperwhite 4 on Black Friday, it was £90. It may get that low again.

#15  barryem 03-20-2019, 05:15 PM
I suspect the new basic Kindle will sell reasonably well. People will look at the price and see that they both have essentially the same features and buy it. Most people go by features, not specs.

Barry

#16  teija 03-20-2019, 05:21 PM
I just saw the ad on Amazon and my first thought was that they are trying to reinvent the wheel, only not as good as the predecessor (for a higher price). Honestly, for the basic Kindle they should have just left it the same, and maybe even slightly decreased the price. No redesign or new materials cost, maybe a slight increase in processor speed...

But corporations will do as corporations do... whatever "looks" best for their bottom line.

#17  ZodWallop 03-20-2019, 05:27 PM
Quote teija
I just saw the ad on Amazon and my first thought was that they are trying to reinvent the wheel, only not as good as the predecessor (for a higher price). Honestly, for the basic Kindle they should have just left it the same, and maybe even slightly decreased the price. No redesign or new materials cost, maybe a slight increase in processor speed...
I honestly don't understand what you mean. The new Basic Kindle seems to be the same as the old Basic Kindle, but with a frontlight. Not sure how that is reinventing the wheel or makes it not as good as the predecessor.

If i'm misunderstanding you, could you clarify? I'm genuinely curious.

#18  AnemicOak 03-20-2019, 05:57 PM
Would rather have a "basic" Kindle with a 300ppi screen but no light, but that's just me.

#19  ZodWallop 03-20-2019, 06:01 PM
Quote AnemicOak
Would rather have a "basic" Kindle with a 300ppi screen but no light, but that's just me.
I'm surprised they didn't bump the resolution up to 212ppi. Then it would match the Aura Edition 2.

#20  John F 03-20-2019, 06:35 PM
From the tech specs:

6.1 oz (174 g). Actual size and weight may vary by configuration and manufacturing process.
Since they are only offering wifi versions, what configuration variations are there?

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/6)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register