Mobileread
New Leaf Nominations for April 2019 • The Way I Heard It: Retellings
#101  Bookpossum 03-25-2019, 12:54 AM
Quote Catlady
I am extremely anal when it comes to reading books in order if they are part of a series, as The Daughter of Time is. Are the Inspector Grant books connected in any way beyond having the same protagonist? Any internal references to previous cases at all?

The operative words here are extremely anal.
I'm a bit like that too. However, I think as Charlie says this one can stand alone quite easily as dealing with a mystery from the past. There are characters who do appear in walk-on roles in various books, but again, Tey says who they are and it doesn't require any prior knowledge of them, as each book is a separate mystery. Grant himself has more of a walk-on role in The Franchise Affair - other characters take centre stage in that one.

#102  Bookpossum 03-25-2019, 12:58 AM
Quote CRussel
It is a precious and valuable resource indeed. All of Dorothy Sayers, all of Patricia Wentworth's Miss Silver books. A lot of Hemingway. And hundreds of other authors. Of course, NAFTA 2.0 is likely to impact what they can do, but for now, at least, they're still doing Life+50.
As long as sanity prevails (not necessarily so these days it seems) your rules will change as ours did when Australia and the US signed a free-trade agreement back in 2004. So we have death + 50 years for authors who died up to 31 December 1953, and death + 70 for those who died after 1 January 1954.

That is, it wasn't applied retrospectively, so you won't lose the authors already on Faded Page, but you won't get any more for, presumably, another 20 years.

#103  Bookworm_Girl 03-25-2019, 02:03 AM
Quote Catlady
I am extremely anal when it comes to reading books in order if they are part of a series, as The Daughter of Time is. Are the Inspector Grant books connected in any way beyond having the same protagonist? Any internal references to previous cases at all?

The operative words here are extremely anal.
This is the only book in the series that I have read. I am usually picky about order too. I thought it is was ok as a stand-alone. It’s really the personality of the inspector that you don’t have familiarity with but the plot is independent.

#104  gmw 03-25-2019, 02:54 AM
Quote Bookworm_Girl
This is the only book in the series that I have read. I am usually picky about order too. I thought it is was ok as a stand-alone. It’s really the personality of the inspector that you don’t have familiarity with but the plot is independent.
And if the personality of the inspector in the first book is anything to go by, no one is missing anything. Others have had more success than I, but the first book was a did-not-finish for me. I'm hoping for better from this one, certainly it has a good reputation.

#105  Catlady 03-25-2019, 11:10 AM
Thanks. I will try to pretend I don't know that the book is part of a series.

« First  « Prev   (11/11)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register