Mobileread
Mini Mini Teardown
#11  endzi 10-30-2012, 02:13 PM
Quote jefftheworld
Okay! I can confirm a success on both of those.
Can You please share the info how to open Kobo Glo to get access to memory card? I just can't manage it...

#12  endzi 10-31-2012, 05:50 AM
Quote endzi
Can You please share the info how to open Kobo Glo to get access to memory card? I just can't manage it...
Ok, I managed it. You just have to push a little bit with some tool (like screw driver) starting from corner where power button is.
Now I have glo memory card backup in case of problems.

#13  staylo 10-31-2012, 12:38 PM
I find it's best to always use a plastic tool to pry open devices like this, not a flat-bladed screwdriver. With a metal tool it's very easy to damage the casing, but with a plastic tool you can use a surprising amount of pressure without any damage.

#14  psi 11-24-2012, 11:03 PM
My wife got me one of these yesterday and today I was taking it apart. I immediately wondered the same thing about putting in a bigger memory card.

Can anyone recommend a program for windows for copying over the contents of the original card to a new one with the partitions intact?

#15  Koboyashi 11-25-2012, 08:47 AM
Quote psi
... Can anyone recommend a program for windows for copying over the contents of the original card to a new one with the partitions intact?
Here you are:

Creator: http://www.vconsole.com/client/?page=page&id=28
Writer: http://www.vconsole.com/client/?page=page&id=29

No idea why they split this in two separate tools, but works flawlessly under Windows 7 x64.

#16  psi 11-25-2012, 04:24 PM
That worked perfectly, thanks. I used the freeware program "Partition Wizard Home" afterwards to expand the fat32 partition. I probably could have used it to do the copy but that seemed to require two sd card readers. The mini is powered up now and says that there is 29884 mb of storage total.

#17  loco_diabolo 11-25-2012, 05:33 PM
Managed to open my glo with the blade of a small kitchenknife, walking around the back.
I made it with no injuries of me or the glo!
Replaced the original it with a 16GB card.
Will there be a remarkable loss of battery life?

#18  psi 11-27-2012, 02:07 AM
I ended up switching back to my original 2 GB card, because new epub books that I added to the 32 GB card were not showing up in the list when I turned the reader on. After switching back to the original card and copying over the same books, they worked fine. I'm not sure if I did something wrong when setting up the new card or what.

#19  sysKin 12-09-2012, 09:14 AM
Just wanted to report that my attempt to swap internal memory was successful.

It was on a GLO, with a 8 GB card (Sandisk Ultra). I used the same tools that are mentioned on this thread (thanks!). I just finished copying ~2 GB of manga on it and all was recognised just fine.

I can't say I see any obvious speed improvement when using the device, but I've only had it for a day so it's hard to compare. It's certainly not slower. When using CrystalDiskMark on the USB-attached Glo (which is hardly the correct test) I get almost double the write speed and no change in read speeds.

If you can think of any relevant speed test I can make, I'm open to suggestions.

I'll reformat the original SD card so that I can benchmark it. This way, you'll at least be able to check if the card you're trying isn't slower.

#20  hardran3 12-18-2012, 07:07 PM
Just got my mini today, and already upgraded to a 16GB card, works great. Used dd to copy and gparted to extend the partition, on debian OS. Worked great, now I have ~14 GB free. I hope it will be enough space

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/4)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register