Mobileread
eBooks we're working on
#1  HarryT 03-30-2007, 12:41 PM
Now we have a "book uploads" section, I thought it might be of use to have a thread in which people can say which books they are working on, to avoid duplicated effort.

To start the ball rolling, I'm continuing my "Illustrated Dickens" books by creating fully illustrated versions of "David Copperfield" and "A Tale of Two Cities". Should have those done in the next few days.

#2  diabloNL 03-30-2007, 12:57 PM
Maybe it's a good idea to move this topic to the "Book Uploads" forum and make it a sticky?

#3  Alexander Turcic 03-30-2007, 01:11 PM
Quote diabloNL
Maybe it's a good idea to move this topic to the "Book Uploads" forum and make it a sticky?
Agreed. Done.

#4  diabloNL 03-30-2007, 01:22 PM
Thanks Alex.

#5  lint 03-30-2007, 02:30 PM
what are the rules for uploading a book? I have several books I have put together in rtf format, but they arent as elegant as BookDesigner books with TOC's and the like. Can I still upload them? -lint

#6  HarryT 03-31-2007, 02:38 AM
Perhaps Alex could advise us on this. I don't know whether or not he intends this to be a forum specifically for LRF-format files. The forum description suggests that this was the aim.

Converting your RTF files into LRF is very easy. Just download "Book Designer", load your RTF file into it, and click the "Make Sony Reader e-Book" button.

My personal view (and I must stress that this is purely a personal opinion) is that we should perhaps reserve this uploads forum for books that people have added some significant "value" to over the original Project Gutenberg (or whatever) originals. There seems little point in uploading something here that someone can download from PG and have on their Reader a minute later. By "added value" I mean things like cleaning up the formatting, adding a nice TOC or index to a complicated book, adding pictures, hyperlinks, stuff like that.

Again though, I don't make the rules, and all this is nothing more than my personal opinion. Alex is "the man" and he can give you a definitive answer.

#7  Alexander Turcic 03-31-2007, 08:11 AM
I agree we should focus on uploading books that have some added value, more than just auto-converted content. I intend to write a friendly sticky guideline to clarify this matter.

#8  LaughingVulcan 03-31-2007, 07:48 PM
I'm currently working on Don Quixote and The Three Musketeers in LRF. (Actually, I've got them done already but I want to give them a onceover before uploading them even in a version 1 format.)

#9  friendly 04-01-2007, 02:13 PM
I don't know who came up with the idea to upload ebooks here. Anyway, I think it is brilliant that idea.
I agree with Harry and with Alexander and I don’t agree. Yes, it’s a nice idea to just collect all the perfectly formatted books here, but I think there are much more rtf-files out there which would be quite nice for many of us. I don’t know if this suggestion would cause too much trouble, but why not open another page where all those files are uploaded which are quite nice and completely satisfying for many readers? So there could be this page for “perfect” books and the other one for “okay” or “nice” books and here I come back to the beginning, I really think there are much more “nice” books ready to be uploaded than “perfect” books.
Somewhere in the forum someone made “Shakespeare” available. I think it should be uploaded here. I have got the files, but I as I didn’t do the work I don’t want to “snatch” the credit.
Ah, I just found the thread and the link: http://www.falstaffshouse.com
And Harry I think you know about it, so you should be able to upload "Shakespeare" and maybe these: "War of the Worlds" and "Fortyone Thieves" To be found here: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8532
Thanks a lot.
Friedhelm

#10  scottcstoness 04-01-2007, 10:37 PM
Quote friendly
I think there are much more rtf-files out there which would be quite nice for many of us. I don’t know if this suggestion would cause too much trouble, but why not open another page where all those files are uploaded which are quite nice and completely satisfying for many readers?

Friedhelm
I would have to agree that even a quick .rtf formatted book, if done well, would be nice to have here. I *love* having the tables of contents and proper footnotes, but to have an entire library of PD .rtf (and completely auto-generated .lrf books) in one place would be awfully nice.

Definitely should be a separate forum, and as there would likely be more books, perhaps one thread per author? Or is this likely to be too many files and too unmanageable a situation?

Anyway, just wanted to chime in with my 1.5 cents.

Next »  Last »  (1/106)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register