Mobileread
More images of the iRex iLiad e-book reader
#1  Alexander Turcic 03-08-2006, 12:07 PM
The iRex iLiad e-book reader has us drifting on a heavenly cloud of bliss for the past few months. Today I discovered two new images (see next post); one gives us a closer look at the main document list view (see how font-size and line-spacing settings are stored individually for each book), and the other shows the general drawing capabilities of the Wacom inductive touch sensor embedded in the iRex device.

Related stories: Sony Reader vs. iRex Iliad e-book reader, iRex Iliad will be available for around 400 Euro, De Tijd and iRex to launch digital paper delivery service

#2  Alexander Turcic 03-08-2006, 12:08 PM
The main document list view:

image »

#3  Alexander Turcic 03-08-2006, 12:08 PM
Drawing on the iRex:

image »

#4  doctorow 03-08-2006, 12:24 PM
That person should clean his fingernails

Serious though, the TOC of installed books looks nice. I could probably live without the drawing capabilities.

#5  Bob Russell 03-08-2006, 12:43 PM
I wonder if the drawing would seem "natural" given the slower refresh rates of e-ink displays. If there's even a small delay, it could be very frustrating.

I'm also wondering if the lack of color would be noticeable. Anyone else out there have a color pda and try to read on a black and white screen of some sort?

#6  doctorow 03-08-2006, 12:44 PM
I started to read e-books on a Palm Vx, and never had a problem with its green monochrome screen.

#7  Laurens 03-08-2006, 12:48 PM
Quote BobR
I'm also wondering if the lack of color would be noticeable. Anyone else out there have a color pda and try to read on a black and white screen of some sort?
For color photos and diagrams only. Text is usually black and white anyway.

#8  NatCh 03-08-2006, 12:59 PM
Quote BobR
I wonder if the drawing would seem "natural" given the slower refresh rates of e-ink displays. If there's even a small delay, it could be very frustrating.
If they were clever and magnatized the stylus tip, refresh rate might be less of an issue for drawing....

As for color, I've never had any issues reading my B&W paper books.

The rascal's not as big as I was thinking from just the bare dimensions. If the price comes down enough, fast enough, and there aren't any issues with adding my own & 3rd party content, I might re-think the iLiad (as opposed to the HanLin, toward which I'm currently leaning)

#9  NatCh 03-08-2006, 01:07 PM
It looks like they've got an icon for a qwerty there as well, that could be interesting.

#10  luag 03-09-2006, 12:06 AM
the display looks like its curved....

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register