Mobileread
iRex Iliad will be available for around 400 Euro
#1  Colin Dunstan 02-09-2006, 07:42 AM
Now that it's getting close to its official unveiling, some more details on the iRex iLiad ER-100 e-book device are starting to trickle out. Also: It's a long-shot, but according to Russell J. Wilcox, chief executive of E Ink, E Ink technology with video and sound features is at most ten years off.

Related: De Tijd and iRex to launch digital paper delivery service, As E Ink approaches the performance of newspaper, Sony Reader vs. iRex Iliad e-book reader

[via W&D]

#2  Laurens 02-09-2006, 07:58 AM
Let's hope they have the price right. The wording is not very clear, though:
The electronic newspaper costs an astronomical 400 euros - but those who sign up for the experiment are not being charged.
No word about if that is the actual RRP.

#3  Bob Russell 02-09-2006, 08:21 AM
That's pretty amazing if they can actually sell this for <$500. Very impressive if true.

#4  Alexander Turcic 02-09-2006, 08:24 AM
DPA is one of the world's leading news agencies, I'd be surprised if they didn't do a thorough research before. I agree with Colin and Laurens, it's not clear what the 400 Euro exactly entails.

#5  rmeister0 02-09-2006, 12:06 PM
Frankly, I will be surprised if they CAN sell them at nearly $500 a pop. That's a lot of money for a single purpose device.

#6  Colin Dunstan 02-09-2006, 05:04 PM
Quote rmeister0
Frankly, I will be surprised if they CAN sell them at nearly $500 a pop. That's a lot of money for a single purpose device.
Well, they don't sell it for $500 but for 400 Euro. The dollar is currently crumbling.

#7  rlauzon 02-09-2006, 05:57 PM
Quote rmeister0
$500 is a good price for us early adopters (i.e. gadget freaks). But whether or not they sell them to the non-gadget people will depend grealy on the price of the eBooks.

For example, most of my O'Reilly books cost about $40 - on the average. Now, if the same eBook costs me only $20 (with no DRM, of course), then I save $20 per book.

So, $20 * 25 = $500. So I only need to have 25 eBooks to "break even". Looking at my library... counting... counting... yup. I have more than 25 books - way more than 25 books.

And that doesn't count the other benefits:
1. Much more shelf space! I just think of the benefits that the world would get if I decreased the mass of my apartment. 8-)
2. More portability. I only have so much room for so many books, so I have to pick and choose. With the iRex, I can pick and choose a much larger subset of books. It would be so cool to have all the Perl books on one device that I can easily take somewhere.

I think of how nice it would have been to have something like this when I was in college. $500 at the start of the 4 years of school, but all my books cost 50% less - plus no 200 lb backpack of books to haul to campus and back.

#8  rumtscho 02-14-2006, 04:35 AM
I've got a question: if it costs 400 EUR, why should I buy it? On eBay I can get a Stylistic 3400 by Fujitsu Siemens Computers for 370 EUR. It's only got a 10.4'' touch-screen TFT with 800x600 resolution but that makes 96 DPI just like my PC screen and I find that good enough for reading eBooks. I even find that 10.4''(600x800) is better than 8.1''(1024x768) becuase on the second I can only get more text if I make the font really tiny and eye-straining. The Stylistic's got WLAN too and Windows NT(!) and I can use it for more purposes than just for reading and MP3. (Besides, I've already got an mp3 player). Maybe I'm just a newbee who overlooks something really important so I'd ask you to post the reasons why this reader is better than a tablet at the same (or lower) price.

#9  Laurens 02-14-2006, 04:39 AM
Quote rumtscho
Maybe I'm just a newbee who overlooks something really important so I'd ask you to post the reasons why this reader is better than a tablet at the same (or lower) price.
E-ink!

#10  Unregistered 03-20-2006, 01:45 PM
According to an email I got from Irex today the price will be €649 + delivery. Ouch!

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register