Mobileread
USB-C Was Supposed to Simplify Our Lives. Instead, It’s a Total Mess
#1  JSWolf 09-18-2020, 03:01 PM
https://onezero.medium.com/usb-c-was-supposed-to-simplify-our-lives-instead-its-a-total-mess-626bb2ea3688
USB-C Was Supposed to Simplify Our Lives. Instead, It’s a Total Mess.

Techies hailed USB-C as the future of cables when it hit the mainstream market with Apple’s single-port MacBook in 2015. It was a huge improvement over the previous generation of USB, allowing for many different types of functionality — charging, connecting to an external display, etc. — in one simple cord, all without having a “right side up” like its predecessor.

Five years later, USB-C is near-ubiquitous: Almost every modern laptop and smartphone has at least one USB-C port, with the exception of the iPhone, which still uses Apple’s proprietary Lightning port. For all its improvements, USB-C has become a mess of tangled standards — a nightmare for consumers to navigate despite the initial promise of simplicity.

#2  Bookstooge 09-18-2020, 04:40 PM
Quote JSWolf
https://onezero.medium.com/usb-c-was-supposed-to-simplify-our-lives-instead-its-a-total-mess-626bb2ea3688
My life is just fine. Why are you so uptight about it? Do you need more fibre in your diet?

#3  ZodWallop 09-18-2020, 05:05 PM
There's this part of the article, I assume it's what made you share it?

I’m thankful that USB-C is becoming universal, slowly pushing us toward a future where we have a single standardized connector for everything.

#4  Ken Maltby 09-18-2020, 05:09 PM
Quote Bookstooge
My life is just fine. Why are you so uptight about it? Do you need more fibre in your diet?
That might be one of the better explanations for "JSWolf"'s reactive posting here on MR, that I've heard. You get used to it.

Luck;
Ken

#5  Bookstooge 09-18-2020, 05:42 PM
Quote Ken Maltby
That might be one of the better explanations for "JSWolf"'s reactive posting here on MR, that I've heard. You get used to it.

Luck;
Ken
I didn't join for YEARS because of his posting. It took a fantastic plugin for calibre that I really appreciated to get me to join and I'm beginning to wonder if it was worth it.

#6  cfrizz 09-18-2020, 06:37 PM
That is what the ignore list is for. Once done you are free unless someone quotes him. I like this site, and I'm certainly not going to let anyone keep me from enjoying all the informative info I find on here.

#7  darryl 09-18-2020, 07:37 PM
I think USB C is great. Not perfect, but much better than the old standards.

As for the OP? His posts can be annoying at times but he is also quick to provide help to others who need it, and there is often value in his posts. Overall, I think his participation is a positive for Mobileread. I endorse cfrizz's very sensible comment above. I use the ignore list very sparingly indeed but find my Mobileread experience much better after ignoring a handful of posters. The OP is not one of them.

#8  rcentros 09-18-2020, 10:28 PM
Quote JSWolf
One port, many dongles. Looks like a sow with a litter of suckling piglets attached. Be sure to bring along the "litter" of adapters if you actually want to interact with anything.

https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Charging-Ethernet-Compatible-Thunderbolt/dp/B07TVSLDND/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=USB+C+Hub+Multiport+A dapter&qid=1600482468&sr=8-4
litter.png 

#9  Ridcully 09-18-2020, 11:22 PM
This is the usual tech cycle since the 80s :-/ People get mad at being scammed into buying new adapters/peripherals/software for each brand or even each product model. Governments or monopolies create a standard and people are happy for a while. But eventually companies figure out a way to make standard-compliant yet incompatible accessories and we're back to square one.

#10  Quoth 09-19-2020, 06:41 AM
"Almost every modern laptop and smartphone has at least one USB-C port"
Actually not true. Only high end laptops and some brands and a minority of phones because it costs more and needs an extra chip in most gadgets. Many SoC as cheap even as 50 c have built-in USB, but only the actual USB. USB-C includes three other systems.

However the problem is not really the cable, except it's too small a connector for all the signals.

Also the up to 100W and 20V part was included to charge laptops, but some take more than 100W and a 100W charger is overkill and wasteful and larger than needed for a gadget, phone or tablet (typically 0.5W to 7.5W).

A recent industry report (not retail media) said apart from certain makes of laptops the takeup of USB-C has been disappointing. It's because most phones, many tablets and all lesser gadgets don't need the extra hardware expense and software complexity.

It should have been called something else.

Next »  Last »  (1/10)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register