Mobileread
Nova, Poke, or lcd tablet...
#1  Botanicalstig 09-05-2020, 07:58 PM
Hello everyone,

I currently own a Kindle keyboard. I purchased it new in 2010 or 2011. I've enjoyed many books on it, but I want something more capable.

I still enjoy novels, but I read a lot of Manga. I do not like side loading on my kindle. It's a pain to download everything on my laptop and send it over. Especially when Manga apps like tachiyomi do such a great job with updates, and keeping track of my reading.

This is why I want an android device over a new kindle, or kobo..

I *can* read Manga on my old 6" kindle... But the text is so difficult to read. I do use it, but it's not always possible. It's usually much easier to read on my cell phone... Even though text is smaller.

So here's my question, the poke would render pages larger than my phone can. However, is the resolution high enough to make reading easy? Should I spend the extra $150 for the nova? Maybe I'd be better off with an 8" android tablet. I just prefer reading on an e ink display if possible.

Hopefully someone has some experience with these tablets. It's difficult to spend so much money on something I can't try out before hand.

#2  menpe 09-06-2020, 04:26 AM
With another 6" device, like the Poke, you'll have to pinch and zoom everything, view half pages at once or have some ridiculous 20/15 vision. I tried this route back in 2014 and my first 8" device felt like a miracle compared to that.
Tachiyomi is great, the only thing to keep in mind that it requires at least Android 5 to run. Not a problem for most of the brand new readers but be sure to check it before buying an used product.
To connect this to your second question: I use my old 10" tablet with Android 6 parallel with my 8" Android 4.0.4 e-reader. I follow currently ongoing series on the tablet, binge-reading happens on the e-reader. 8" is enough for 80% of my needs but if you read anything with small extra texts outside of the regular speech bubbles (for example Senryuu Shoujo), it can be small. For the ultimate experience I'd say get a modern 10" e-reader and use it for years.
The tablet vs. e-reader experience is like driving on a dirt road vs. concrete road. Both are manageable but if I could choose, I'd choose the latter. Especially if you like night reading, the difference is there. I usually switch to the e-reader at least half an hour earlier than my bedtime because when I keep using the tablet for the whole session, falling asleep takes noticeably more time.

#3  Botanicalstig 09-07-2020, 01:46 PM
I really appreciate the input! I am still a bit undecided

I think I can cross off the poke. 10" might be good in some scenarios, but price seems to be more than I'd like to spend. Also, I feel I would prefer a smaller size for novels.

Getting my wife a 10" Samsung s6lite while it's on sale today. She wants the extra functionality outside of reading. At $280 it's cheaper than the Nova, and larger. But as you've said, binge reading on my phone is not the most enjoyable. The screen always gives me a headache. I'm not sure if that's the best for me.

Unless anyone else chimes in, I will have to ponder for a little while longer. Just wish the nova wasn't so expensive. I know about the Mars, but I've seen a lot of negative remarks from people who've owned them. Not sure I want to try my luck.

#4  Pajamaman 09-07-2020, 01:54 PM
Quote menpe
With another 6" device, like the Poke, you'll have to pinch and zoom everything, view half pages at once or have some ridiculous 20/15 vision.
I disagree with that statement. What makes Onyx particularly good for read comics is the built in Neoreader app. It allows you to split a comic page into a number of sub-panes in a number of different ways, and then also to change the direction and order of navigation between those split up sub-panes. You can also free move between the sub-panes.

Saying that, I've never tried it on a 6" Poke. I have a Poke, so I could try it on there if you like. At the moment I read comics it on a 7.8" Nova. I think it would work okay on a 6", but when it comes to comics, bigger is always better. But I do think comics would be readable on a Poke using Neoreader, but again, the Nova would be better.

The 7.8" is a good compromise for reading normal ebooks and comics. Not too big to hold, but a bit more space for comics. Definately get an Onyx over a Likebook. The key is the Onyx Neoreader app. It makes comics much more readable on a smaller, or even 7.8" screen. I would find comics unreadable even on a 7.8" without neoreader.

#5  Botanicalstig 09-07-2020, 02:36 PM
Have you tried using tachiyomi as a reader? Or is the built in reader that much better? I'm not opposed to downloading and viewing in the built in reader, as long as the process isn't too difficult... I have to use two apps and a website to side load to my kindle. Then I have to organize in folders by hand on the device, and even then, the chapters/volumes won't be in order. It's a pain. With tachiyomi all you do is chose the series you want, and hit resume.

I've also used the comixology app to get material. There are some comics I'd like to try (seems like they use larger pages than Manga). Sounds like the built in app would work well for that as well?

Thanks for the info

#6  ottischwenk 09-07-2020, 02:39 PM
I only use Boox and the NeoReader for scribbling in books, otherwise I prefer Likebook devices - I need storage capacity on the devices that Boox does not offer.
For Comix I use the Perfect Viewer on my Likebook Alita and Ares.

#7  menpe 09-08-2020, 10:21 AM
Quote Pajamaman
I disagree with that statement. What makes Onyx particularly good for read comics is the built in Neoreader app. It allows you to split a comic page into a number of sub-panes in a number of different ways, and then also to change the direction and order of navigation between those split up sub-panes. You can also free move between the sub-panes.
Those were only my experiences, but each to their own. For me, reading manga means seeing the whole page at once. The Neoreader style of presentation might work for western comics or even 4koma type series but most of the times the whole page artwork would become either too small or too fragmented, not even mention the double pages which is getting more and more widespread. Also modern manga artists are not even stick to the grid system anymore for panels, slanted edges everywhere, full character images on the sides to draw their appearance, etc.
6" is just unnecessarily annoying to use for anything other than light novels or regular text based books.

#8  Botanicalstig 09-08-2020, 10:49 AM
Decided to order the nova 2 last night, should arrive tomorrow. I appreciate the feedback. Glad I asked, I probably would have gone with the poke....

Still wonder if the cheaper 10" or 8.4" Samsung tablet would have been a better buy... I hope I made a good choice, really wanted the e ink for this use. Wish they had a full 8" or 8.5" model. Worst case scenario, I lose a restocking fee or try my luck on ebay.

I will report my findings, thanks again everyone for the input.

#9  Pajamaman 09-08-2020, 03:24 PM
Quote menpe
Those were only my experiences, but each to their own. For me, reading manga means seeing the whole page at once. The Neoreader style of presentation might work for western comics or even 4koma type series but most of the times the whole page artwork would become either too small or too fragmented, not even mention the double pages which is getting more and more widespread. Also modern manga artists are not even stick to the grid system anymore for panels, slanted edges everywhere, full character images on the sides to draw their appearance, etc.
6" is just unnecessarily annoying to use for anything other than light novels or regular text based books.
Yes, I don't read manga, I read Western comics. I appreciate they are formatted differently.

However, AFAIK the neoreader app offers the most formatting options for any sort of graphic novel. I have occasionally hit a comic that neoreader cannot suitably format to read conveniently, but it is very rare.

@OP. I think the Nova is the best option for your needs.

#10  Botanicalstig 09-10-2020, 11:39 AM
Loving it so far. My Manga is huge and easy to read!

One question I have. I notice in color Manga and comics that my screen won't do a full refresh and some ghosting remains. My refresh is set to normal mode, and full refresh frequency is set to 1. Works great on black and white Manga, only seems to be an issue with color. Any idea on a workaround? Hitting the full refresh button after a page turn fixes all ghosting.

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register