Mobileread
Boox max 3 for online meetings
#1  Adelaido 06-27-2020, 05:29 AM
Hello everyone,

I am considering buying a Boox Max 3, mainly to reduce the amount of paper that I use and bring around in my travels.
I was wondering how the device behaves with online conference apps. My goal is to use the Max 3 as a whiteboard, sharing the screen during conference calls; although not fundamental for my choice, this would be a big plus.

So far I saw in posts and reviews online that:
- zoom has been succesfully installed and set up to by some users work like a whiteboard
- Cisco WebEx apps have been installed by some users
- Skype has been installed and used for some voice-only communication.

I am in particular interested in screen-sharing doing conference calls with WebEx Meetings and Microsoft Teams; has anybody already tried that or have some clues about how the experience would be?

Thanks!

A.

#2  .kai 09-04-2020, 10:33 AM
Hi Adelaido,

did you get a Max 3 and have you had any luck with this? I'd be interested in your experience. Also can you provide a link for the Zoom/Whiteboard experience that you mention?

best wishes!

#3  Jayjee 09-05-2020, 07:24 AM
Quote .kai
Hi Adelaido,

did you get a Max 3 and have you had any luck with this? I'd be interested in your experience. Also can you provide a link for the Zoom/Whiteboard experience that you mention?

best wishes!
I have used the Zoom app on a Max 2 (not 3) and found the experience well enough. I started and managed the Zoom meeting from my Laptop, to which also microphone and Webcam were connected, and started the Zoom app on the Max 2. There is a feature called "Share screen", with which you can join the meeting that is set up on the computer that only share the screen, not connect chat, audio, video etc. . On the Max (after confirming that you "stream" the screen to the Zoom app), I then switched to the note app and used it as a whiteboard. There was some lag between the writings appearing on the Max and on the Shared Screen on the computer, but it was manageable. (You write on the Max, so the lag there is short as always - no difference to your usual writing experience).

I have a Surface Book 2, which has a stylus, but found the experience of writing on the Max much better. (Used it even to share music scores from the Max with the MobileSheets app for analysis course).

So it works - if the small lag is not a problem for you and your meeting attendees. I presume that the experience on the Max 3 is even smoother due to faster processor and bigger RAM.

Best,
Jan

#4  Adelaido 09-11-2020, 05:00 AM
Hi, I actually did not buy it yet, but I plan to make my decision soon.
Best wishes!
A.

#5  Adelaido 09-11-2020, 05:02 AM
Quote Jayjee
I have used the Zoom app on a Max 2 (not 3) and found the experience well enough. I started and managed the Zoom meeting from my Laptop, to which also microphone and Webcam were connected, and started the Zoom app on the Max 2. There is a feature called "Share screen", with which you can join the meeting that is set up on the computer that only share the screen, not connect chat, audio, video etc. . On the Max (after confirming that you "stream" the screen to the Zoom app), I then switched to the note app and used it as a whiteboard. There was some lag between the writings appearing on the Max and on the Shared Screen on the computer, but it was manageable. (You write on the Max, so the lag there is short as always - no difference to your usual writing experience).

I have a Surface Book 2, which has a stylus, but found the experience of writing on the Max much better. (Used it even to share music scores from the Max with the MobileSheets app for analysis course).

So it works - if the small lag is not a problem for you and your meeting attendees. I presume that the experience on the Max 3 is even smoother due to faster processor and bigger RAM.

Best,
Jan
Thanks for your feedback!
A.

#6  Question Mark 09-12-2020, 11:45 AM
Quote Jayjee
Thanks for sharing this. Very useful information.

The same method also works with the Note Pro on Microsoft Teams. It can be a bit glitchy at times, but it works fairly well. Much better than trying to use a mouse and a virtual whiteboard to write or draw. Will have to play around with it more.

You can also open up books in NeoReader and annotate them on the shared screen. Again, it can be glitchy on the Note Pro. It takes some playing around with but it works reasonably well once you get the hang of it.

#7  .kai 09-15-2020, 05:12 AM
Quote Jayjee
I have used the Zoom app on a Max 2 (not 3) and found the experience well enough. […]
Jan/Jayjee, thanks for the reply! I tried doing the same but without luck: When I draw in the Notes app on my Max 3 while sharing the screen via Zoom running on the Max 3, I first see my writing where the stylus touches the screen (which is good) but then see a magnified, mirrored duplicate of my writing in another location (which is not so great).

Any advice on this? I get this both at the original resolution as well as at a 200dpi resolution (which was recommended here).

cheeres,
Kai

#8  eReader fan 09-30-2020, 09:35 AM
It would be good to know if there is the possibility to connect a webcam via wifi and just use the eReader, as it has speakers and microphone. It could be a standalone platform to do the zoom/online meetings.

Any idea or test done?

#9  adrians 09-30-2020, 10:03 PM
Quote .kai
Jan/Jayjee, thanks for the reply! I tried doing the same but without luck: When I draw in the Notes app on my Max 3 while sharing the screen via Zoom running on the Max 3, I first see my writing where the stylus touches the screen (which is good) but then see a magnified, mirrored duplicate of my writing in another location (which is not so great).

Any advice on this? I get this both at the original resolution as well as at a 200dpi resolution (which was recommended here).

cheeres,
Kai
I get the same result and others have also reported this. Maybe the 3.0 firmware will correct some aspects of screen sharing.

#10  Jayjee 10-01-2020, 03:50 AM
Sorry for late reply - I have not used the Boox for teaching in a long time (semester vacation - and I am returning to physical lessons from next week - yippie!) - but I cannot remember that issue at all.

I have no time to check on that right now, unfortunately...

Best,
Jan

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register