Mobileread
Best 10" and up readers?
#21  Hitch 06-17-2020, 12:03 PM
Quote ottischwenk
Which kind of files?
If they are ebook files, I can recommend the Boox Nova2. You can write directly into it.
Primarily eBook files and PDFs.

Hitch

#22  ottischwenk 06-17-2020, 12:28 PM
Quote Hitch
Primarily eBook files and PDFs.
In the Boox devices (NeoReader) you can write directly into the books with the pen.
At pfd this file is changed directly, with the other book formats I don't know how it works, but even if the font size is changed, for example, underlines or comments remain in the right places.
The Nova2 - 7.8 inches is quite comfortable in size.

#23  Hitch 06-17-2020, 12:31 PM
Quote ottischwenk
In the Boox devices (NeoReader) you can write directly into the books with the pen.
At pfd this file is changed directly, with the other book formats I don't know how it works, but even if the font size is changed, for example, underlines or comments remain in the right places.
The Nova2 - 7.8 inches is quite comfortable in size.
Thank you for that. Do you find that the NeoReader is a good reader, generally? I mean...I've tried a lot of on-the-hoof readers out there for ePUB and most of them are not fantastic.

Hitch

#24  ottischwenk 06-17-2020, 12:58 PM
Quote Hitch
Thank you for that. Do you find that the NeoReader is a good reader, generally? I mean...I've tried a lot of on-the-hoof readers out there for ePUB and most of them are not fantastic.
In my eyes it has a bug - it only shows epub in block format.
Otherwise, it is extremely configurable - right down to the touch zones (3x3).

#25  Hitch 06-17-2020, 01:07 PM
Quote ottischwenk
In my eyes it has a bug - it only shows epub in block format.
Otherwise, it is extremely configurable - right down to the touch zones (3x3).
When you say block format, you mean justified, is that right? Rather than ragged-right?

Hitch

#26  ottischwenk 06-17-2020, 01:36 PM
Quote Hitch
When you say block format, you mean justified,
Yes - but I want to read left-aligned and this is not possible.

#27  Hitch 06-17-2020, 02:11 PM
Quote ottischwenk
I know that some people do. I'm older and old-school; I prefer justification over ragged right. Especially in eReaders; it seems almost invariably that when I encounter RR on Amazon it's dreadful and the books that I get from other sources are not much better. Given my druthers, justified.

But, to each their own. The Kindles increasingly are allowing that--ragged-right--so that should help you. With your huge collection, you probably have a few of those! ;-)

Hitch

#28  hobnail 06-17-2020, 02:20 PM
Quote ottischwenk
Heh; I start grinding my teeth reading fully justified.

Too bad I'm not handy with a soldering iron and geeky with electronics (a hammer is about all I can handle); I'd turn my 10" Onyx into a digital picture frame like that guy posted here a while back.

#29  Hitch 06-17-2020, 02:44 PM
Quote hobnail
Heh; I start grinding my teeth reading fully justified.

Too bad I'm not handy with a soldering iron and geeky with electronics (a hammer is about all I can handle); I'd turn my 10" Onyx into a digital picture frame like that guy posted here a while back.
Is that about it in general, or simply due to justified text? Are there other problems that make you want to nuke it? Or did you like it, BUT for the justified text?

Curious--presumably, you grew up and went to school in a day and age before computers? I mean, many if not most MRers seem to be that age. What did you do about paper books? Textbooks, novels, etc.?

Hitch

#30  ottischwenk 06-17-2020, 02:44 PM
Quote Hitch
The Kindles increasingly are allowing that--ragged-right--so that should help you. With your huge collection, you probably have a few of those!
2 (PW2 and PW4) but unused.
I know that some people do. I'm older and old-school; I prefer justification over ragged right. Especially in eReaders; it seems almost invariably that when I encounter RR on Amazon it's dreadful and the books that I get from other sources are not much better. Given my druthers, justified.
If I want to admire the beautiful appearance of a book, I sit down in my library and read, feel and smell a paper book with leather cover and gold cut.
With a reader I am not interested in beautiful formatting at all. I want to record the text as effectively as possible and in the flow of readings I am hampered by the unevenly long spaces caused by the justification format.
In a well-set paper book, this does not happen, the letter width is also varied, which is not possible with the fonts in an ebook.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (3/7)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register