Mobileread
PRS-505 (1.1xxx) update?
#1  rcentros 12-19-2019, 09:42 PM
I'm looking for the 1.1xxxx firmware updater for a PRS-505. This is the first one I've run into that didn't have that update and the reader can't see ePubs.

(It's a longshot, but I've got to try.)

#2  rkomar 12-20-2019, 08:04 AM
Is this what you are looking for? https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/downloads/W0003622

#3  rcentros 12-20-2019, 01:15 PM
Quote rkomar
Is this what you are looking for? https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/downloads/W0003622
That's exactly it! I don't know how many times I went to these Sony support pages for the PRS-505 (in several different countries) and failed to see the download button. Senility, I guess. Thanks!

EDIT: And now I can read ePubs on it! Thank you.

#4  deedward9 08-12-2020, 07:15 AM
I know this thread is 8 months old, but I recently purchased a PRS-505 off of ebay that is on the original firmware. The link that was shared has died. Does anyone have the needed download by any chance?

Thanks so much.

#5  rcentros 08-12-2020, 05:26 PM
Quote deedward9
I know this thread is 8 months old, but I recently purchased a PRS-505 off of ebay that is on the original firmware. The link that was shared has died. Does anyone have the needed download by any chance?
I ran into this recently also. Fortunately I still have the file on my old laptop (from when I downloaded it from the now defunct link, above). I'll dig it up and make it available somehow (not sure if PM would work with this, but I could probably upload it to Google Drive).

I'll PM you with the details.

#6  deedward9 08-12-2020, 06:08 PM
Thank you so much rcentros for your help. If anyone else needs this I'm going to keep a copy on my cloud drive so that I can share it again in the future.

Thanks!

#7  JSWolf 08-12-2020, 06:51 PM
The 505 may cause you problems with eBooks with hi-res images. It's going to be very slow when displaying these images or it will lock, or reboot. So really, it's time to put away the 505 even though you just got it and get something better. The 505's version of ADE is very old. It has no hyphenation and only left justifies. I've had a 505 and there is no way at all that I would use one again.

#8  deedward9 08-12-2020, 08:32 PM
JSWolf. I appreciate the advice. This was a nostalgia purchase. I already have an extensive collection of eInk devices that are much more modern including a Kobo Clara which is very nice and a Boox Nova 2 which I use a lot as a convergence device.

Though the PRS 505 is covered in buttons, I still find the design to be very charming, I just wish that I had found a silver grey one, though this black almost blue one is really nice.

#9  JSWolf 08-12-2020, 08:34 PM
Quote deedward9
JSWolf. I appreciate the advice. This was a nostalgia purchase. I already have an extensive collection of eInk devices that are much more modern including a Kobo Clara which is very nice and a Boox Nova 2 which I use a lot as a convergence device.

Though the PRS 505 is covered in buttons, I still find the design to be very charming, I just wish that I had found a silver grey one, though this black almost blue one is really nice.
The red one was the best looking 505. The black and silver are just meh at best.

#10  rcentros 08-13-2020, 05:43 PM
"Modern" eReader with front light.

Even here I use Constantia (embedded).

These Kobo lights are incredibly useful and work on a lot of the old, non-lit eReaders.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Kobo-N905-KOJP-LGH-Ereader-LED-Clip-Light/272104115132?hash=item3f5aab4bbc:g:JF4AAOSw~29b5lk C

EDIT: So far I've had no trouble with covers (but it doesn't mean i won't happen eventually).
modernscaled2.jpg coverscaled.jpg 

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register