Mobileread
(US specific) 80% of books published 1924-63 allegedly in public domain
#41  pwalker8 09-26-2019, 01:13 PM
Quote Apache
Johnny Cash also covered the Nine Inch Nails song Hurt. I actually like his version better. Pain just seeps out of his version.
Apache
Yep. The video that goes with that song is just heart wrenching. I remember when it first came out and how many people told me "you just have to listen to this song". Cash also did a version of Gordon Lightfoot's "If You Could Read My Mind" that was almost a dirge. Just incredible.

Just think where we would be if musicians treated copyright like authors do. Of course songwriters really love getting those royalty checks. In the documentary, two situations were mentioned.

Many may not know this, but Willie Nelson was a song writer well before he became known as a singer. He once offered to sell the rights of a song he had written to a well known country singer for $500. That singer said, "No, I'll loan you the $500, I'll record it and you get the normal royalties". It became a bit hit. Nelson's first royalty check was for $14,000. That was a lot of money back in the 60's.

Ricky Skaggs once covered an old Bill Monroe song on one of his hit albums. Bill Monroe came up to him an told him "I got the royalty check the other day. It was so much, I was able to pay my land tax and have a bit left over. Feel free to record any of my songs you want."

#42  doubleshuffle 09-26-2019, 01:24 PM
That's why so many musicians just used to lift old folk and blues tunes, write a line or two of new lyrics (I think fiddling with the arrangement was also an option) and claimed publishing rights.

#43  leebase 09-26-2019, 01:29 PM
Well....isn't not like Disney just did a string replace. They took a story and created a movie. A movie script is a separate work effort than a book. Then you have all the animation, etc. etc.

A rapper who lifts a rift or beat from an older song, is still creating a new song.

#44  Apache 09-26-2019, 02:17 PM
Quote pwalker8
Yep. The video that goes with that song is just heart wrenching. I remember when it first came out and how many people told me "you just have to listen to this song". Cash also did a version of Gordon Lightfoot's "If You Could Read My Mind" that was almost a dirge. Just incredible.

Just think where we would be if musicians treated copyright like authors do. Of course songwriters really love getting those royalty checks. In the documentary, two situations were mentioned.

Many may not know this, but Willie Nelson was a song writer well before he became known as a singer. He once offered to sell the rights of a song he had written to a well known country singer for $500. That singer said, "No, I'll loan you the $500, I'll record it and you get the normal royalties". It became a bit hit. Nelson's first royalty check was for $14,000. That was a lot of money back in the 60's.

Ricky Skaggs once covered an old Bill Monroe song on one of his hit albums. Bill Monroe came up to him an told him "I got the royalty check the other day. It was so much, I was able to pay my land tax and have a bit left over. Feel free to record any of my songs you want."
That was because when you sold a song back then the person that bought was credited as the song writer. Willie sold a number of his songs that became hits and he did not even receive credit as the song writer.
Apache

#45  Ladyrixx 10-29-2019, 08:47 PM
Quote WillAdams
For books, the standard has always been that the text itself is either public domain or copyright, and the response to that has been to add forewords, introductions and so forth when doing new editions.

If you stripped the formatting and non-essential markup and remade the ebook you should be in the clear (but this not legal advice, and I am not your lawyer, just a layman's understanding of copyright).
This would be why the "plain" version of the novelization of Metropolis is free, but the one that doesn't have formatting that makes your eyes bleed is $3.

« First  « Prev   (5/5)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register