Mobileread
Get an Updates Kindle Oasis Black Friday
#1  seanyyz 11-24-2022, 01:00 PM
I bought my last Oasis in February 2018. It is my go to for ereading. I saw that the most recent version is on sale for Black Friday and was wondering whether to update. Amazon is saying my current device is supported to 2023 but the new one is supported to at least 2026. Or is that even a factor?
Thoughts?
Also I love that the available device has 3G in Canada which helps me sync between my phone and my kindle. And the quick downloads when I am on the road and not hooked up to 3G have been a pain.

#2  Quoth 11-24-2022, 01:45 PM
Support doesn't mean much on ereaders. I have ancient Kindles and an ancient Sony. I can buy new eBooks via the Web Browser, or download PD free ones. You only need something that can allow payment & download in a web browser, and USB Host mode to copy to Kindle.

The 3G on my prehistoric Kindle DXG still works in Ireland. But I always use USB.

There is little difference between Oasis models.

You can in theory even buy a Kindle eBook on iOS or Android browser, go to My Content and Devices, download on the phone and with a suitable OTG cable or adaptor and a file manager, copy the downloaded file to ANY Kindle. You select which Kindle model (if you have more than one) at download.

#3  Sirtel 11-24-2022, 01:53 PM
The screen of the 2019 Oasis is better than that of the 2017 Oasis, and it has warm light. I'd go for it.

#4  Canis_lupus 11-24-2022, 04:31 PM
The reason to update is for the warm light imo. Older model Kindles that Amazon no longer support still work fine.

It took me a long time to get the Oasis 3 because I didn’t think the warm light was reason enough since I had the Oasis 2 but I am glad I did get it.

#5  JSWolf 11-24-2022, 05:06 PM
I disagree about upgrading just for the warm light. My Libra 2 has a warm light and I don't use it.

#6  tomsem 11-24-2022, 07:02 PM
Yes, I don't see the need for warm light. Don't use it on my Paperwhite 11/SE.

#7  HLS 11-24-2022, 07:06 PM
I read mostly on my ipad. The Oasis is still quite nice. If you hold on to your devices a long time I recommend getting the Scribe. its new so it will be supported a long time to come

#8  JSWolf 11-24-2022, 07:09 PM
Quote HLS
I read mostly on my ipad. The Oasis is still quite nice. If you hold on to your devices a long time I recommend getting the Scribe. its new so it will be supported a long time to come
The Scribe is expensive and some will find it too large.

#9  Canis_lupus 11-24-2022, 10:11 PM
The warm light is personal preference. Reading on a Kindle with only the white light before bed disrupts my sleep, but reading with the warm light does not. During the day, I use the warm light on a lower setting because I like how it looks.

The Oasis 3 is a little lighter than the Oasis 2. With my eyes closed I would pick one up and always guessed correctly which one I was holding. I think the Oasis 3 is easier for me to hold but other people might not notice a difference.

The buttons on my Oasis 3 are much quieter than my Oasis 2.

Like I said, I had an Oasis 2 so I didn’t get the Oasis 3 for a very long time but I was glad I did after I finally got it.

#10  Quoth 11-25-2022, 07:29 AM
Quote JSWolf
I disagree about upgrading just for the warm light. My Libra 2 has a warm light and I don't use it.
I hardly ever use a front light and when I do the warm versions are IMO only marginally better than the PW3 or Oasis gen 2 (which I had). Any difference in screen quality would be marginal.
A Libra 2 is a better value upgrade than Oasis gen 2 to gen3, which reviews called a disappointingly incremental change.

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register