Mobileread
Font embedding, swash alternatives---no codepoints!
#1  Hitch 09-24-2022, 11:59 AM
Hey, guys:

I thought the Workshop was feeling bereft and lonely, having not had a new post since before HRH Elizabeth passed, so...what the heck.

I ran into a somewhat interesting issue, the last few days and I hope you're not reading this, thinking that I have some magic wand solution, because I don't. Given what (I think) it would cost to fix this, the client passed on fixing it and went with the standard glyphs, but:

A client sent us an INDD package file, which used the Adobe-available CANTO font. This is a hugely experienced customer--if I say we've done nearly 500-750 eBooks for them, I'm likely not exaggerating. The file used 5 faces--Bold, Light, Roman, SemiBold, Semiboldital (Semi-bold Italic). Right?

But, lo, the book designer used swash alternatives. We use these all the time, sans issue, but this time, what to my wondering eyes should appear when we endeavored to export the HTML/ePUB/anything? (See attached.)

Ixnay on the Ode-points-cay. No codepoints. No Hex (the glyph #454? Nope, not Hex.)

So, instead of the fancy T (and myriad other letters), we ended up with the base font. I told the customer what I thought it would cost, for me to use "my font guy" and create codepoints for +/- 52-ish characters, in all 5 faces, and they decided that they could go Swashless. There were over 100 chapters in the book and 5-6 Parts sections, all of which used the contextual swashes, so making them as images wasn't a) affordable for the customer or b) a quick-n-easy solution for us, either.

But I was wondering if anybody here had a fast-n-easy(ier) way to do this? I mean, to assign codepoints and then deploy them?

I figured if ANYBODY knew, it would be one of you geniuses....???

Hitch
2022-09-23_11-22-10.jpg 

#2  hobnail 09-24-2022, 02:45 PM
Quote Hitch
This is a hugely experienced customer--if I say we've done nearly 500-750 eBooks for them, I'm likely not exaggerating.

Hitch
Just being nosey; was that an author or something else?

#3  Hitch 09-24-2022, 06:50 PM
Quote hobnail
Just being nosey; was that an author or something else?
Hob, mon sweetie:

500-750 books for ONE author? Sheesh, you must know some proflific dudes and dudettes!

(ᵒ̤̑ ₀̑ ᵒ̤̑)wow!*✰

it's a print design house, much like my own, that would rather not mess with eBooks, so we white-label their stuff and have for...gosh, IDK, 10 years now, give or take. :-)

Hitch

#4  JSWolf 09-24-2022, 07:02 PM
The simplest solution I can think of is to use a similar but different font that's not broken.

#5  Quoth 09-25-2022, 07:22 AM
Quote JSWolf
The simplest solution I can think of is to use a similar but different font that's not broken.
My thought too. Some fonts are inherently swashed Italic. I think common on menus and wedding invitations. Originally maybe posters for opera or classical music concerts?
Mixing with a similar enough un-swashed serif font and matching size & weight may be "fun".

#6  Hitch 09-25-2022, 12:14 PM
Quote Quoth
My thought too. Some fonts are inherently swashed Italic. I think common on menus and wedding invitations. Originally maybe posters for opera or classical music concerts?
Mixing with a similar enough un-swashed serif font and matching size & weight may be "fun".
Yes, boys, but most--until now, all, that I've seen--have codepoints/hex. THIS one does not. A bloody Adobe font!

Hitch

#7  Turtle91 09-25-2022, 08:52 PM
I'm going to pretend to display font ignorance here...for the betterment of everyone else who is wondering and not wanting to display their own level of understanding (of course)

What are codepoints and why are they important??

#8  j.p.s 09-25-2022, 09:18 PM
Quote Turtle91
I'm going to pretend to display font ignorance here...for the betterment of everyone else who is wondering and not wanting to display their own level of understanding (of course)

What are codepoints and why are they important??
Aparently, it is a way to represent 1,114,112 characters, err graphenes, with 16 bits.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_point

#9  Hitch 09-25-2022, 09:59 PM
Quote j.p.s
Aparently, it is a way to represent 1,114,112 characters, err graphenes, with 16 bits.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_point
Yes, okay--then everybody forget I said codepoints. Pretend I said character codes. Either way, the long/short of it is that there is no there there. Can't make a character appear w/o codes.

(I mean, without making it an image, which obviously, <> ideal.)

Hitch

#10  hobnail 09-26-2022, 01:39 AM
... ...

Next »  Last »  (1/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register