Mobileread
Problems with KTerm and USBNetworking [Touch][5.3.7.3]
#1  jollyblondgiant 11-03-2021, 05:27 PM
Greetings, O Great Wizards and KindleMages:
I've been experiencing issues setting up my kindle as a raspi screen since June. Then, I was able to get set up with kterm and USBNetworking but couldn't resolve the ssh into the raspi. Last week i couldn't even ssh into my computer over USB from my kindle, nor into my raspi from my computer. I think it may have been an issue with the usb cable I was using (apparently some are only good for charging, not data?). In any case, I panicked and reset my device and then panicked some more. I have since re-installed the jailbreak and hotfix successfully.

I'm using a KT (B011 ...) running FW 5.3.7.3.

However, I'm having trouble installing KTerm or USBNetworking this time. When I launch KTerm from KUAL my kindle just returns to the home screen. I extracted the 'Update_usbnet_0.22.N_install_touch_pw.bin' file from the 'USBNetwork Hack' archive on NiluJe's snapshots post. When I copy that file over to and then eject my kindle, the 'Update Your Kindle' option remains grey and the .bin file is gone. I've made sure to re-read the install readmes a few times, and I'm still at a loss.

#2  NiLuJe 11-04-2021, 09:15 AM
Triple-posting and PM'ing everyone won't help your case.

Reading the documentation, on the other hand, might. Specifically:

Quote NiLuJe
Please note that all these packages can only be installed through MRPI (and I strongly recommend using a recent version ), *even* on legacy (<= K4) devices.

#3  jollyblondgiant 11-04-2021, 04:07 PM
I'm sorry for causing you any headaches with the PM, I didn't mean any disrespect.
I posted in the jailbreak thread because I thought it was pertient at first, but then created this thread because I was afraid I was being gauche posting at the end of a huge old thread. I realize I still messed up and for that I'm sorry.

I misunderstood that section of the documentation, as my device is not a 'legacy (<= k4)' nor is it FW>=5.5

I'll try the fix. thanks for clearing it up.

#4  NiLuJe 11-04-2021, 04:38 PM
FWIW, when in doubt, the lesser of evils is probably going to be "create a new thread" .

#5  ccat526 11-19-2022, 02:29 PM
Hi! Sorry to reopen an old thread, but it's the only place I've found my problem mentioned. I followed the instructions on the kterm website (extract to extensions then run with KUAL) and it exits back to the home screen too. Are there any more verbose guides I can follow? Thanks!

#6  luketheduke 11-19-2022, 03:54 PM
Quote ccat526
Hi! Sorry to reopen an old thread, but it's the only place I've found my problem mentioned. I followed the instructions on the kterm website (extract to extensions then run with KUAL) and it exits back to the home screen too. Are there any more verbose guides I can follow? Thanks!
Do you have USBnetwork enabled?

If so, log in and try to run
Code
sh /mnt/us/extensions/kterm/bin/kterm.sh
and see what happens.

#7  ccat526 11-19-2022, 09:08 PM
Quote luketheduke
Do you have USBnetwork enabled?

If so, log in and try to run
Code
sh /mnt/us/extensions/kterm/bin/kterm.sh
and see what happens.
Lol I might be an idiot. All I needed to do was put everything in a folder inside extensions. Thanks for giving the whole file path, that’s what made it click

#8  luketheduke 11-21-2022, 12:15 AM
Quote ccat526
Lol I might be an idiot. All I needed to do was put everything in a folder inside extensions. Thanks for giving the whole file path, that’s what made it click
Happens to the best of us. Glad you figured it out.

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register