Mobileread
Apple Event on 13 October 2020 Announcements
#11  tomsem 10-13-2020, 07:37 PM
Product I’d like to see: iPad mini Pro with the iPhone Pro cameras.

#12  OtinG 10-13-2020, 07:57 PM
I would definitely like to see the next iPad mini to keep about the same dimensions but use the small bezels of the newer Pro models to achieve a larger screen in the same small package. They could probably achieve a 16 x 9 screen ratio that way as the bottom and top bezels are very large right now. Pro speed and power would be nice too, but I don’t won’t to pay out the backside for it. I like the $400 price, add too much and that will climb up quite a bit.

I suspect at least one new Mac might get released before Black Friday, but I’m not expecting to see a new TV 4K this year. If we see one, great, if not then no big deal as the current models are still good. My only complaint with my TV 4K is that some streaming services like Philo don’t seem to have enough knowledge of the tvOS because their apps are not as good on TV as they are on Roku and FireTV. Not much Apple can do about that. Hardware wise though, my TV 4K produces much better video streaming quality than my Roku or FireTV. The FireTV is really cheaply made and it shows in video and audio streaming.

#13  ilovejedd 10-14-2020, 02:05 AM
Looks like we'll be updating an iPhone XR to the 12 unexpectedly. AT&T's giving $700-800 discount (via monthly bill credits) with trade-in of iPhone 8 and newer.

#14  kyteflyer 10-14-2020, 02:41 AM
Quote salamanderjuice
Amazon Echos can play Apple Music too. Plus Spotify, Amazon Music (of course) and others. Can play Audible and do TTS of Kindle books. I've been pretty impressed with my Echo Show 5 I got on sale for $60 CAD. I have it hooked up to my bluetooth bookshelf speakers which I imagine sound way better than the tiny Homepod mini or even the Homepod. Way cheaper to do too.
The new Homepod Mini can also be the AppleTV speaker, instead of your TV speaker. Can the Echo dot do that? If so, I’m going to go get 2 of those because Prime Day cheap.

#15  pwalker8 10-14-2020, 08:48 AM
Nothing that is going to make me pull out the wallet this year. The homepods are pretty cool, but how do I listen to my DVD's?

#16  OtinG 10-14-2020, 12:12 PM
Quote kyteflyer
The new Homepod Mini can also be the AppleTV speaker, instead of your TV speaker. Can the Echo dot do that? If so, I’m going to go get 2 of those because Prime Day cheap.
I think one of the guys who posts in this MR thread uses an Echo to provide audio for his TV, but I’m not sure, so you could post this question in that thread and probably get a quick answer. I think it might require using a FireTV though, but I’m not sure.

#17  tomsem 10-14-2020, 12:38 PM
Quote kyteflyer
It is unlikely that Echo Dots would be better than your TV speakers. Maybe newer ones have better sound than the ones I had. But such a small form factor argues against sound being very good, and they won’t get very loud because they can’t move much air around.

The ones I had have audio input so they can be hooked up to TV that way with audio cables (separate R and L mono RCA to 3.5mm cables). Not sure the newer ones still have audio input, though.

I guess you could also connect Dot to AppleTV via Bluetooth and it might even be possible to connect 2 of them (it supports two BT headsets, or at least Apple’s) but you wouldn’t get stereo that way.

#18  OtinG 10-14-2020, 01:12 PM
You can pair two Echo devices which are the same model and generation. For example, you can pair two Dot 3rd generation Echos to create a stereo pair. You cannot pair unlike models though. I’ve got two Dot 3rd generation Echos paired into a stereo pair. The sound is surprisingly good for devices with a single 1.6 inch top facing speaker. I doubt even a stereo paired set of Echo Dots will sound better than the speakers on a decent TV though, unless the TV speakers are messed up or the TV is a really cheap budget one with crappy speakers. It would be better to use a set of full size Echos paired for stereo, but that would run into more money and still might not best the speakers in the TV. One advantage to using an Echo or Echo stereo paired set, or the HomePod as far as that goes, is that you would have voice control of the audio level.

It sounds like the new HomePod mini has a conical part in the bottom that projects sound all around 360°. The Echo Dots, even the new 4th generation, don't have that. So that might make a difference as well since the new Dot 4th gen has a front facing single 1.6" speaker. The HomePod mini should have better sound than the Dots.

#19  kyteflyer 10-14-2020, 06:41 PM
Quote OtinG

It sounds like the new HomePod mini has a conical part in the bottom that projects sound all around 360°. The Echo Dots, even the new 4th generation, don't have that. So that might make a difference as well since the new Dot 4th gen has a front facing single 1.6" speaker. The HomePod mini should have better sound than the Dots.
Thanks for all that.. yeah I think I’ll get a Mini. It will suit my current uses, and its going to be able to access Amazon Music too.

And since my post about not really wanting to u/g phone, I’ve decided that I will. Just not now and not on pre-order. I forgot I have car registration and insurance coming up next month, as well as a big service. I was hoping to have my mobility scooter by now, but oh well... I just have to remind myself... *priorities*!

#20  tomsem 10-14-2020, 11:43 PM
You can also use HomePod to supplement another sound system. For example, I combined it with a sound bar, and adjusted the volume level to my preference.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register