Mobileread
The Status of Marvin
#101  leebase 06-01-2020, 12:50 AM
Quote JSWolf
It's the one that's garbage as it doesn't play all that well with the CSS.
I use it all the time for ePub books that I buy from amazon and liberate with Calibre. Works great for my use case. The iOS/Android combo is the main feature, but it handles series, is easy to load books, syncs great between devices, adjusts brightness by dragging finger on page...and multiple zone forward reverse taps that are configurable.

#102  ilovejedd 06-01-2020, 01:00 AM
Quote leebase
I use it all the time for ePub books that I buy from amazon and liberate with Calibre. Works great for my use case. The iOS/Android combo is the main feature, but it handles series, is easy to load books, syncs great between devices, adjusts brightness by dragging finger on page...and multiple zone forward reverse taps that are configurable.
Any reader that doesn't religiously adhere to CSS is crap per JSWolf.

Personally, I intentionally strip most of the publisher formatting from fiction and am quite happy using readers that JSWolf has deemed to be crap. I used to read on a 3.5" iPhone so fancy layouts don't translate well on that anyway and that habit has carried over even on bigger displays.

Technical books where formatting is essential, I tend to read on PDF with GoodReader (iPad).

#103  JSWolf 06-01-2020, 06:06 AM
Quote leebase
Those are features that have nothing to do with actually reading. FBReader is not all that good at playing nice with the CSS. That makes FBReader garbage. It doesn't matter if it has the best eBook organization in the world or if it is the easiest in the world to load eBooks. It matters how good it is at displaying eBooks. FBReader is not good enough for reading.

#104  JSWolf 06-01-2020, 06:07 AM
Quote ilovejedd

Personally, I intentionally strip most of the publisher formatting from fiction and am quite happy using readers that JSWolf has deemed to be crap. I used to read on a 3.5" iPhone so fancy layouts don't translate well on that anyway and that habit has carried over even on bigger displays.

Technical books where formatting is essential, I tend to read on PDF with GoodReader (iPad).
I do fix the formatting as needed (for me) and if the program doesn't respect the CSS, then it's not displaying the eBook as I want.

#105  leebase 06-01-2020, 05:09 PM
Everyone of those features are what I look for. Hundreds of books read and never a single thought too “I wonder how they are handling CSS”. Never. Not once.

I am constantly adjusting the brightness I’m the mornings and evenings as the ambient light changes....so the ability to easily do so is high in my list.

I tap either side to “go forward” as far and away that’s what I want to do. But the upper right tap zone I have set to go back. Very convenient.

I love to read series...so it’s important for me that I can browse by series.

Getting books into the app is also very important. Obviously Kindle and iNooks are easiest...but they don’t have the other features that are important to me.

FBReader Network is very easy and convenient for loading books. If I open a book on my iPhone...when I switch to my Tablet, I’ll be promoted to download it. Very convenient. And the ability to sync across iOS and Android is THE feature that had me switch from Marvin in the first place.

I’ve heard you gripe for years over CSS support..,and I’m fairly certain that NONE of the options does what you want.

Fortunately for me, it hasn’t negatively impacted my enjoyment of reading.

#106  crashnburn 07-06-2020, 02:10 PM
Thanks for these inputs. Making note of these and will check out and come back with feedback.

Quote rfog
AFAIK, best Android ebook readers are FB Reader (From FB Reader, not others with same name) and Moon+Reader Pro.
Quote rfog
Seems son. This one:

https://fbreader.org/android

Be careful because there are some other versions from others. This one, for me, is the best because has version for Android and iOS and synchronize between them.

And yes, it is not the most beautiful or ergonomic ebook reader, but is the one that has less issues in Android.
Quote leebase
Quote ilovejedd

« First  « Prev   (11/11)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register