Mobileread
iPhone Public Domain Books for 99 cents
#1  daffy4u 07-10-2008, 09:07 PM
iPhone App Store Takes on Amazon Kindle with 99 Cent E-Books

show attachment »

Looks like there is going to be an ebook component to the iTunes Store.

With the arrival of the iTunes App Store, some enterprising individuals have started to populated the virtual shop with a bunch of novels from the public domain. All they have to do is "re-box" them, so to speak, before selling through through the Apple online store for 99 cents each. The e-books that you'll find include stuff like Dickens and Tarzan.

The text is said to look pretty crisp and the relatively large display of the iPhone makes for a pleasurable read as well. And you might look a little sexier staring at your iPhone than at your Kindle.

#2  badgoodDeb 07-10-2008, 09:14 PM
There are other threads saying that eReader's software, and stanza's, and MobiRead's are available for the iPhone. So you should be able to read the books you've already bought. Or what you've found for free here on MR. (once we or the software people figure out how to download the books to the phone)

#3  daffy4u 07-10-2008, 09:16 PM
Thanks Deb! I don't have an iPhone or plan to have one but I see a lot of folks here do.

#4  Nate the great 07-10-2008, 09:40 PM
Quote badgoodDeb
There are other threads saying that eReader's software, and stanza's, and MobiRead's are available for the iPhone. So you should be able to read the books you've already bought. Or what you've found for free here on MR. (once we or the software people figure out how to download the books to the phone)
We have software?

Anyway, the Iphone version of MobiReader is not ready yet.

#5  Alexander Turcic 07-11-2008, 02:33 AM
Looks like this particular example doesn't use eReader or Mobipocket. It's offered by these folks:

http://www.appengines.com/bookreader.html

#6  HarryT 07-11-2008, 04:40 AM
That's right; they're "standalone" applications with a built-in reader app.

#7  chef 07-11-2008, 10:02 AM
"...the relatively large display of the iPhone makes for a pleasurable read as well. And you might look a little sexier staring at your iPhone than at your Kindle."

Always in need of a good laugh.

People always compare non-Apple products to the Ipod (whether they play mp3s or not) but I guess you can't do that since the Iphone is an Apple product. Relatively large compared to what, non-smart cell phones?

#8  HarryT 07-11-2008, 10:05 AM
Many Smartphones have a 2.5" screen, so it is large compared to that.

#9  pagansoul 07-11-2008, 10:14 AM
There is a FREE ereader in the iTunes App store. You can read pdf, txt, even mobi on it. There is also an App for Fictionwise ebooks. I already have thousands of free books both in Mobi and TXT format so its nice to also use my iphone as a reader. However my Kindle is my main reader and my Macbook at home because I have a ton of pdf classic books and I use Zinio to read magazines. By the way, Zinio also has books.

#10  Hadrien 07-11-2008, 10:29 AM
I wonder why Apple let these developpers publish dozens of public domain books this way. It clutters the App Store, on almost every screen of the Entertainment section you get a few of these books.

Next »  Last »  (1/7)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register